Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Introverts, how much social contact can you tolerate?

I have never had more than a 20 minute commute to a job. I didn’t have a physically demanding job so that could be a difference. I had a social life even when I had kids at home.

Yppej
    Some jobs also require overtime.

The last thing the state wanted to do was pay overtime. However, once we were short staffed so I worked at home every Sunday for comp time for 6 months. That was nice to have.

I have more than a couple of friends that love to get together for lunch which more often than not goes anywhere from 4-6 hours. It kills me. I would much prefer to get together more often for shorter periods of time and walk and talk if possible. Love my friends and they obviously need to talk but yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    I have more than a couple of friends that love to get together for lunch which more often than not goes anywhere from 4-6 hours. It kills me. I would much prefer to get together more often for shorter periods of time and walk and talk if possible. Love my friends and they obviously need to talk but yikes!
    I hear you marathon sessions of sitting and talking, no physical activity (like walking or uh even circulating around the room) allowed, plant your butt in the chair.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Every year 8 couples--friends I had in college get together for a long weekend and I always look forward to it, but by Sunday, I'm dying. Unfortunately the weekends leave me wishing I had more one-to-one time with a couple of those friends. But all that group stuff really wears me out.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When I went to Wisconsin we spent 9 days with various friends and I never got sick of it. Very fun!

I'm so introverted I procrastinated even posting a response to this thread.

I actually prefer a group because I can be less conspicuous, kind of hide in the numbers. When we get together with a couple I don't know well, (which are most of them) I feel very nervous.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I find almost all other people rather boring. There are a few notable exceptions I have known throughout my life. My current friend Jeff -- interesting guy. A buddy of mine from college, "Krompy," was always a good conversationalist. My ex-wife was mostly pretty interesting. I could name a few more.

But the vast majority of people I work with are boring or what you might call "basic" or "basic 2.0."

The majority of the atheists and minimalists I hang out with get boring after a half hour.

My ladyfriend talks a lot about mundane things and I can get bored with her fairly quick.

So when I am interacting with boring people (which is mostly everyone) I find myself thinking how I'd like to get back to reading whatever book I am in the middle of or about sketching some image in my mind.

I rarely get bored, except by other people.

Does this make me an introvert?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post

Does this make me an introvert?
    No, it probably just makes you generally uninterested in people. I don't think introverts are unimpressed with people--I think they just have limits to interacting with them before they have to recharge their batteries alone.

But I don't think you are as bored with people as you say you are. You're pretty engaged with us--or so it seems.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information