Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Anniversary Meal

Best Anniversary Meal

My boyfriend and I will be celebrating our 3rd anniversary next month. I'm planning to cook for him as part of my surprise. What do you think is the best meal to prepare if he's into dishes which involve potatoes? Thanks!

Meat loaf, garlic mashed potatoes, peas, fruit pie.

Shepherds pie

Special baked potatoes with a large variety of toppings to choose from preceded by a delicate appetizer like shrimp cocktail. Add tournedos of some variety of chicken or beef, a light mixed veggie or salad and end with a simple unique fruit.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    You could start with potato pancakes in the morning, then other versions later in the day.

What is his favorite meal? That's what I would make. My hubbies' favorite potato dish is potato salad. And I would Q a big burger to go with it and some BBQ potato chips.. He would be in heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Shepherds pie
    That is, kinda sorta, meat loaf/mashed potatoes/ peas that I suggestd sbove, only all mixed up.

DH is one of those people who doesnt like foods to toich, so all mixed up stuff usually doesnt fly. Oddly, he likes stir fry dishes and Asian inspired dishes just fine, and that is all vits of meat and veg stirred togehter.

IL, it has other ingredients which includes cheese and is really yummy although I love meatloaf too. Really depends on what is his favorite food.

Thanks for your suggestions. Do you have a special seasoning you use in mashed potatoes? I'm thinking of putting garlic but I'm not sure what other spices would complement with it. I did a lot of experiments before so I'm not really sure which one is the one he likes best. And he doesn't really let me do the cooking most of the time because he thinks that I am a danger in the kitchen. But I don't think otherwise.

Sometimes the simplest is the best. I have found that trying to add too much to any recipe means that the original flavour that one enjoys is muted or lost.

May I suggest that your modus of operandi in cooking should be to focus or freshness and simplicity. Have a variety of condiments that your diners can choose from and leave it up to them to make or destroy.

EG: Garlic is great when cooked with potatoes that are mashed with butter and milk. Then add small dishes of grated cheese, some additional butter, diced green onions, actual cooked and diced bacon, gravy, etc for the diners to make their choice. Make those accents really good quality and tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by messengerhot View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions. Do you have a special seasoning you use in mashed potatoes? I'm thinking of putting garlic but I'm not sure what other spices would complement with it. I did a lot of experiments before so I'm not really sure which one is the one he likes best. And he doesn't really let me do the cooking most of the time because he thinks that I am a danger in the kitchen. But I don't think otherwise.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information