Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How normal is memory loss with aging?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How normal is memory loss with aging?

It seems like my short-term memory loss and remembering names of things/people has gotten pretty bad lately. I hate it. Simple words I should remember, are just unavailable to me. It seems to be escalating at a fast rate.
    I'm 68. I remember to do tons of things during the day and my memory for things in the past is exceptional. But dangit, I can't remember simple words and names. How is this for the rest of you? Is there anything that might help it?
    Thanks.

My husband and I were both commenting on this. I can often remember the beginning of a word, like it starts with "sa" and is about "xxx" and searches take a bit longer. Names are much harder but then I don't concentrate as hard as I did at work where I said the names, wrote them and then read about them. Helped to create a stable memory. I used to have a job as a secretary and letters were my thing but now I really rely on the computer spell check.

But I don't get lost, forget to lock the door, can drive although I hate it, etc. So maybe it is general aging and slowing down?

Happened to me the other day when I couldn't recall the word "turquoise." I was admiring someone's earrings and I was trying to say the stone color looked like turquoise - fortunately my friend realized what I was trying to say and she said it. Sure felt spooky.

I see there's some free short online memory-related quizzes to take which might be one tool to help you. I'm going to try some of them myself. I don't think I'm in any danger zone, but doesn't hurt to check it out.

I do this when I’m too busy - multitasking - stressed. Otherwise not so much. It’s often related to things other than dementia.

A little forgetfulness seems normal, and I suspect there is some connection to blood sugar levels. It often takes me a beat or two (or a half hour, or 24) to remember a name. Recently, i tried to remember "Ross Perot" and momentarily came up with "Rod Fullow." I didn't think that was the name, but I had a feeling the sound was close. Sometimes I'm amazed at what I can remember.

I do online crossword puzzles several times a week......supposed to help with this kind of thing........makes sense to me.

I have decided that names are not important, so I dont stress about not remembering them.

Williamsmith
    What was the question again?

You might also increase your water. Apparently dehydration affects our memory and it's easier to get dehydrated than first thought. NPR had something on that this morning...I'd remember more about it but haven't been drinking enough water lately.

I'm menopausal and finding the "brain fog" is horrible, worse than the hot flashes: Names! What did I just say? Are you sure we talked about that? What is it called? Ugh!

What I meant to talk about (and had to edit to come back to):
    Dad is 77 and in January had an "episode" it's not really a stroke or aneurysm or alzheimers but the neurologist said something in the brain died, a few cells here and here. It causes memory issues. Mostly for him it's names and short-term memory. He knows two of my cousins like sons. One he has no problem remembering his name but the other one is now known as "you know that other one". It's like the recognition for "T's name" is just turned off. He knows him, everything about him, every old memory of him, just can't come up with the name or remember recent memories like talking to him yesterday. They did all the scans possible and gave him a memory placement test for a marker, he'll retest on that every 6 mts to see if there are additional changes. I believe as we age the memory placement test will be more common since alzheimers and other memory issues are key study areas currently.

One more edit. They did have dad increase the B12 supplement but I think studies are a bit mixed on how much that really helps. But maybe that's because we can't remember to take it!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

My short-term memory defect that concerns me most is my inability to remember the subjects of studies I spent 6 weeks on! And if I have 2-3 studies running at the same time, I have a hard time instanteously telling them apart! One time I was doing an project in France, and I got to the facility where they asked me what the topic was so they could direct me to the right room, and I couldn't bring it up!! I was doing 3 studies at the same time and I just had a hard time picking the right study. They laughed, but I was freaked out that I couldn't remember the topic of the study that I was working on. To be honest, typing this out makes me even more concerned, even though that was kind of an isolated instance.

Because I do 20 studies a year, maybe its understandable, but I definitely find that type of information more difficult to pull up now.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information