Thread: John McCain: For Whom the Bell Tolls

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

John McCain: For Whom the Bell Tolls

This documentary was great. I started watching it a few months ago and just finished it up. Honestly, I was so moved. I so respect that he tried so hard to break from partisan dogma.

Here's the video in which he cautions against "spurious nationalism"

https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/16/polit...dal/index.html

I know he's battling at the end of his days with brain cancer and I can only thank him for his integrity and his service to this country and wish him and his family peace.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I always liked McCain a lot, of the old GOP politicos, but I dont have solid reasons why I liked him and so, cannot justify any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I always liked McCain a lot, of the old GOP politicos, but I dont have solid reasons why I liked him and so, cannot justify any of it.
    Maybe just because he's a good guy. As Flannery O'Connor said, "A good man is hard to find."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

McCain has integrity starting with the Vietnam war and throughout his life. Country before party. A truly great guy.

I don't agree with his politics but he IS an extraordinary man and an amazing war hero.

Yppej
    After reading the Rolling Stone piece on him years ago I have been unimpressed.

What sort of person calls his wife the C word and picks an unqualified former pageant contestant as his running mate?

He could have went home while in Vietnam but he stayed with his men and was tortured. Great documentary was made about his experience. Experts probably helped him pick that dim wit for a running mate. Many people of both sexes demean their mates. I voted for Obama but I feel like he is a decent politician.

Williamsmith
    I am not a big fanboy of Mr. McCain. He pimped his military service for his political benefit. He is a warmonger of the first degree. He rode the coattails of his father....an Admiral in the navy. He never had the requisite humility a public servant needs. And could go on. But I would like to say I wish him peace in his illness and a dignified life.

I admire the guy. He had the courage of his convictions under terrible circumstances. How many of us here have had their integrity tested like he did, and come away so well?

Although not of his political persuasion, I've always had a great respect for John McCain. None of us are perfect, but he is far closer to the mark of personal integrity than most people I know. He has always been willing to work for what he believed was best for the American people, regardless of who introduced the idea, and when he's had a bad idea, he's owned it and apologized. These days for a politician of either stripe, that's pretty high praise in my book.

Thread Information