Thread: Making your own liquid soap

Making your own liquid soap

Wasn't sure where to put this post, so Alan you can move it if you think it belongs somewhere else.

I've been using Soft Soap for a long time. I buy the big container and refill my small pumps. Bar soaps make such a mess. But today when I went to buy a refill, I realized how many chemicals are in it. So I'm going to start making my own. I've watched several You Tube videos of it, but I don't think they were concerned with additives, but just used a favorite bar soap that smelled good. I'd like to use as few chemicals and dyes in it as possible. Anyone have a favorite recipe? I guess it's not a matter of just adding shaved pieces of Ivory to water.

Thanks!

I have tried to do this, Cathy, but had no great success at it. I have read that if you dissolve glycerin soap in water it is supposed to be better for making liquid soap with fewer chemicals.

I buy the large container of soft soap and use DD2's homemade bar soap most of the time. Her bar soap is time-consuming to make but it is a hobby-craft that she enjoys doing.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thanks razz. Bar soap just gets so messy in the dish. It's just so convenient to use a pump and less messy. But I guess this was the first time I read the ingredients on the back of the Soft Soap container. I usually know all about a product before I use it, but this one slipped by me. I'm going to do a search on maybe using Castile soap to make a liquid hand soap. I bought some Castile soap for something recently, so I have some.

couldn't Dr. Bronners ?() or something like that be diluted with distilled water and used in the pump? I use Mrs. Meyers laundry detergent for my shampoos, but prefer bar soap for everything else.

I agree with Dr Bronner's. Super safe and a few varieties that smell good. I can use it to wash hair or dishes camping so it is very clean. It is a little more watery than other soaps so it didn't work in my dispenser as well as commercial liquid soap.

Thread Information