Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you "basic?"

Life is a celebration for me and everyone has a story unique to him/her so no one to me is basic.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Life is a celebration for me and everyone has a story unique to him/her so no one to me is basic.
    Everyone is special?

Absolutely!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Everyone is special?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Absolutely!!!!!!!!
    All the children are above average.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    There's nothing all that outstanding about me, or particularly fascinating. My passions are in areas a lot of people don't share, so at a party I often just listen.
    I think you've touched on two key points right here.

First, I think others have a role in determining what's outstanding or fascinating about you (or anyone else). We may have skills or knowledge or personality attributes which we may not believe are outstanding or fascinating but which other people do find outstanding or fascinating. To them, we're not "basic".

Then there's the matter of how much of ourselves we show others. There are things about me that, by the definition used here, make me "not basic" -- but many people do not get to see those things in many/most social settings. Those closest to me are far less likely to see me as "basic".
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    All the children are above average.
    I know what she means, and “special” is a different kind of measure than what constitutes an average.

If you look at it biologically, each human is a wonderous mix of traits, a unique package.

If you look at it spiritually, from a traiditional,God view, God has a unique relationship with everyone and values each individually.

Just because each human doesnt trigger and hold your interest doesnt mean they arent special. We are not here on earth to entertain UL.

What are they, may I ask?
    Well for one, my username is HERB geek. (not the smoking kind, the culinary/medicinal type)

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Well for one, my username is HERB geek. (not the smoking kind, the culinary/medicinal type)
    No Colorado Herb huh!

I don't think many people would confuse me with basic, however many people do find my interests, habits, personality not interesting or fun. I annoy more people than most I think, just empathetic enough to notice that!

I really don't like the idea that some of us are 'worth' another's interest or attention. It feels off, I know we have all met someone who doesn't seem interesting at all and then meet their spouse or kids who just light up around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I really don't like the idea that some of us are 'worth' another's interest or attention. It feels off
    +1

I really don't like the idea that some of us are 'worth' another's interest or attention. It feels off,
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    +1
    Yeah, this is really off-base. As IL said, people are not here to entertain us. I also strongly feel, that as razz said, that no one is "basic." And I also feel that people are reflections of you. And if you find people uninteresting or not worth your time, maybe you need to look at yourself. Everyone is interesting if you find them so. Have you ever asked people about themselves? How they feel about things? About struggles they've had in their lives? What makes them laugh?

If you do, you will find that no one is "basic." Everyone has a story. If they are uninterestING, maybe you are just uninterestED.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information