Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: August frugals

Yppej
    Went to two stores on my endless quest for a comfortable bra or bra alternative but did not buy anything. At Penney's the camisoles were either too uncomfortable or of too thin a fabric on the front, the bralettes had uncomfortable straps, and the one front zip sports bra I thought would work was not available in my size.

Then I went to Burlington and tried on bralettes that were definitely designed for the junior body and a dozen other gazingus pins, but I did not get anything.

I also went to the bank and library, so spent several hours enjoying air conditioning that I did not pay for. Came home hungry and tired but DS and I could not agree on takeout (our go to was Papa John's before the most recent racist incident) so he cooked something.

A no spend day.

I have really not been very frugal this summer, and eating out has been the big hole in the budget. It happens more when I am with Mom & Sis than when I'm with DH.
    Anyhow, I have been on a quest for a desk and I found one last week in an antique shop for $100. I am in love and I think this will really help streamline our living space by getting all my desk stuff off the dining table. It's an old maple desk that was probably in some baby-boomer's boyhood bedroom, but perfect size and shape for me. I haven't decided yet whether to refinish it or chalk paint it.
    I have also been on the hunt for a new small shoulder bag. I found a pristine bag that is a great size and shape at Savers, "The Sak," and it was $3.99, with 40% off handbags, so $2.54. I was very pleased with that score!
    cats and desk.jpg

With my upcoming trip to Japan, I have been watching Youtube info on travel there and seriously noting all the points being raised. One thing that struck me is that Japan is largely cash-based. So, it was strongly suggested that I get a special coin purse since so much of Japanese currency is in coins.
    I stopped at my CAA store to see what they had in travel bottles that meet airline regulations and don't leak. No luck on the bottles but found the perfect coin purse in yellow, RFID secure, member-priced, then 50% off and then another 15% off. I am delighted at my find.

My wallet is bright yellow by choice as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I have really not been very frugal this summer, and eating out has been the big hole in the budget. It happens more when I am with Mom & Sis than when I'm with DH.
    Anyhow, I have been on a quest for a desk and I found one last week in an antique shop for $100. I am in love and I think this will really help streamline our living space by getting all my desk stuff off the dining table. It's an old maple desk that was probably in some baby-boomer's boyhood bedroom, but perfect size and shape for me. I haven't decided yet whether to refinish it or chalk paint it.
    I have also been on the hunt for a new small shoulder bag. I found a pristine bag that is a great size and shape at Savers, "The Sak," and it was $3.99, with 40% off handbags, so $2.54. I was very pleased with that score!
    cats and desk.jpg
    Well good luck reclaiming your desk for work! What a cute set of cats!

Yppej
    I am on track for the month despite wasting money on a camisole. But I have not received my electric bill yet and we have been running one room air conditioner around the clock and a second one at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I admire how well-appointed that desk is; obviously it has the resident felines' stamp of approval!

Yppej
    I like the desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    My thoughts exactly, you beat me to it!

Cute kitties! Very unfrugal month after paying 600 for dogs dental my younger dog has a double ear infection which cost me 100. In 2 weeks need to do a recheck which will be 50. Hubby going to see his son graduate from officer school and because the town is small the plane ticket was 700 plus hotel and rental car. Was going to use Uber but they aren’t allowed on base. Glad he is going and proud of the kid but wow what a expensive month.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Thought that I might get this started a little earlier this month than I did in July.

Today for lunch, I am making bean salad with chick peas that I cooked up in my pressure cooker and using fresh beans topped with green onions and cherry tomatoes all picked yesterday from my garden,. Love it when the harvest is coming in.
    Same here a little late, but I been harvesting some fruits in our backyard now and it's a good thing for me.

Thread Information