Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: August frugals

Well I guess it is frugal that I never got another pet after our last dog died. Family is visiting the area this weekend and it should be low key. They drove a long ways and I think based on past experience won't want to go places/spend money.

Not a very frugal month. Had the tree guy out again to take care of a big limb of our walnut that went down in a storm. Not two weeks after he was out here to trim back the walnut from the neighbor's roof (that would have saved a couple hundred). Lots of visitors, too. It's great to see them, but you can see the effects on the food and utility bills.

- We have been the recipient of the bounty from others' gardens and it's produce we've been able to use.
    - Got yet another rebate check from our insurance company; turns out their eyeball house replacement cost estimate was off by a bunch so we got some $$ back.
    - I finally broke down and bought an electric string trimmer. I had had terrible luck with string trimmers before this so I got what is essentially a pair of shears on a waist-high metal tube. But I couldn't use them for very long before my hands blistered, especially when I worked on my other property. So I tried a different brand that seems to get good reviews, and I bought their least expensive model judging that it would be good enough. It is. I still have other pruners for the volunteer trees that this trimmer won't handle.
    - Been filling our freezer again with produce and food on sale. Looks like we may get a second freezer from my mom, who can no longer keep hers full. Not sure if we'll keep it; it's no bigger than the one we have though it is newer. I've learned the key to freezing food at lower risk is to diversify where you freeze it...
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006

I've been participating in a clinical trial for a new medication and get $75 per weekly appointment. It goes on for ten weeks. It's nice...I get out of the house, away from the computer, and get paid far more for doing virtually no work at all. Plus, they gave me a free, enormous tee-shirt that I've repurposed as a summer nightgown!

This is sales tax holiday weekend in Massachusetts. I stocked up on toilet paper.