Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much of your life do you live your way?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

Life's a crapshoot whether you're a paragon of whatever health fad is ascendant or not.
    I would say life is part crap shoot and part strategy game.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    That will be an adjustment. Will your daughter be hanging around the island for a while?
    I just picked her up in Salt Lake City where she had done an intensive course in Classical Nahuatl, and we are now in Santa Fe for several weeks attending operas, eating food, hiking, and buying hats. This was supposed to be a whole family trip, long-planned, recent events put the kabosh on that, daughter and I decided to do it anyways.

She’ll be leaving in September to go to Cambridge for her graduate studies. So she’ll be around the island for another month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I just picked her up in Salt Lake City where she had done an intensive course in Classical Nahuatl, and we are now in Santa Fe for several weeks attending operas, eating food, hiking, and buying hats.
    Enjoy the absolute heck out of this!

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    All of it. As I mentioned before by the time I was 18 I was fresh out of foster care and had to work or starve or become a prostitute. My sister and I were lucky to go to nursing school and my older brothers foster parents helped us find places to live and jobs. We ended up with an old woman who was incredibly good to us. Long hours at a nursing home while going to school taught us life lessons more valuable than book lessons. All five of us earned college degrees. A true American success story.
    I was lucky and found a life partner, we headed to city hall, got married and headed west. 17moves later we retired in our early 50’s. Every day it seems we find something to be thankful for. I don’t care what anyone thinks. My life is full of charity work, lots of books, great cooking, outdoor adventures and wonderful friendships

I am surprised how how many people referenced others instead of themselves to answer the question how much of your life do you live your way.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I just picked her up in Salt Lake City where she had done an intensive course in Classical Nahuatl, and we are now in Santa Fe for several weeks attending operas, eating food, hiking, and buying hats. This was supposed to be a whole family trip, long-planned, recent events put the kabosh on that, daughter and I decided to do it anyways.

She’ll be leaving in September to go to Cambridge for her graduate studies. So she’ll be around the island for another month or so.
    i truly wish you the best of times. Sometimes no matter how well we try to live life throws us a curveball. And Cambridge. Be proud

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    All of it. As I mentioned before by the time I was 18 I was fresh out of foster care and had to work or starve or become a prostitute.
    Which did you choose?

I am surprised how how many people referenced others instead of themselves to answer the question how much of your life do you live your way.
    What do you mean?

To answer for myself, or begin to answer, if I had to put a percentage on it, I'd say I live maybe 25% of my life my way. The rest is work or other arguably necessary or probably unnecessary tasks and activities.

I think that reflecting on my friend's dad's life and on this question specifically shows me how much I am hemmed in by fear and worry.

well heroine addicts also live life their way, they often die in their 20s and 30s by one fatal overdose. But they lived life their way. That seems the logical extreme of that one.
    Trees don't grow on money

I would say life is part crap shoot and part strategy game.
    but winning a strategy game mostly takes a lack of moral scruples of any sort, good people don't tend to win that one. Luck bad or good at least can happen to anyone.
    Trees don't grow on money

Haha! I mentioned someone else--my husband--only because the man who died that spurred the OP was so much like him. Or, maybe I'm more codependent than I thought (A codependent is someone who, when drowning, sees someone else's life flash before their eyes).

I am living my life my way for the most part. Barriers to living my way 100% are: compromise with SO, debt, and a little bit of laziness and life-drift (just going with the flow without making commitments to myself).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information