Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How much of your life do you live your way?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Haha!

I am living my life my way for the most part. Barriers to living my way 100% are: compromise with SO, debt, and a little bit of laziness and life-drift (just going with the flow without making commitments to myself).
    I can see a positive change for the better happening, C.Keep it up.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Which did you choose?

What do you mean?
    Her post told you what she chose, UL. This response from you is almost snarky and rude. Read her whole beautiful post about courage, blessings, kindness of strangers and life choices.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The way I see it, everything I do is my choice. I could stop working and be homeless, but I choose to work and have a house. But whatever I choose, it’s still my choice and my life.

UL

Fear is the Mindkiller (Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune by Frank Herbert)

One for the reading list if you haven't read it alreasy

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    The way I see it, everything I do is my choice. I could stop working and be homeless, but I choose to work and have a house. But whatever I choose, it’s still my choice and my life.
    I've been pondering this question and you nailed it Tammy.

I was talking to my brother today. He is an engineer, lives in a smaller town, is married, has a very stable life. He focused early on in sciences and on actually earning money. I earned a degree in Humanities, prefer living in areas that tend to be expensive, got divorced, a lot of change and lack of stability. However we both made choices. Because of my choices I decided to rent a room with a friend and own almost nothing. I made a lot of choices a long time ago that did not lead me to his type of stable, financially secure, life. Some things happened outside of our control, his house burned to the ground, I graduated in a recession and lost my house. However I don't want to be the pitiful relative who is a victim. He is also not a better (or worse) person for having more money and a stable life.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Which did you choose?

What do you mean?
    i assume your first line is a poor attempt to be funny.

And by the question I asked, the title is how much of your life do you live your way? So what is the true answer for each person. So SO does not meet your expectations. Work sucks. I get it. None of us live in a fairy tale. We all need to figure out how to support ourselves. But I have met poor people who just have their basic needs met and are full of purpose and joy. And I think of a thrice divorced man I know sitting on a lake in a gorgeous house, fancy cars and fine wine whose kids have little to do with him. Which way would you prefer?
    If there are obstacles to overcome in life is it helped by complaining about your poor circumstances or are there small joys you can find? Most of us have access to some green spaces we can walk in, birds to spot, library books to read, the ability to cook good food and good work to help the less fortunate? Can we not find our life purpose in the simple things? Can we make changes in ourselves (not someone else) to make our lives more of our own?

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    well heroine addicts also live life their way, they often die in their 20s and 30s by one fatal overdose. But they lived life their way. That seems the logical extreme of that one.
    I am okay with that. What is the old feminist slogan? "My body, my choice."

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    but winning a strategy game mostly takes a lack of moral scruples of any sort, good people don't tend to win that one. Luck bad or good at least can happen to anyone.
    Even good people with moral scruples can eat veggies every day and exercise regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    life-drift (just going with the flow without making commitments to myself).
    Never heard this term. Very interesting!

Thread Information