Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doggie Dentals

Doggie Dentals

Wow they are expensive where we live. Our little Maltese had 4 teeth pulled and the cost was $600. Once we had a molar pulled that cost 500. It goes by the time it takes. Vet bills are so out of control that either people have less dogs or don’t care for them properly. The big guy has never needed one. It is a shame because we always have 4 dogs and now will eventually have 1 or 2 due to costs.

Yeah, the estimate for Harlan's next dental appointment is $1,200.

Is he a big dog? I would have thought this would be cheaper where you live. Our Maltese need one every year or 2.

Yppej
    What do you do for preventive care? I was concerned because he was an 80 pound part German shepherd but my son insisted on sticking his hand inside the dog's mouth to brush his teeth every day. No dental bills, ditto the second dog.

Our dog had her dental issues for a while. A few tooth extractions that ran into a few hundred dollars (she had to be anesthetized for some extractions) but nothing that ran as expensive as what's quoted here.

We asked the vet what we could do to prevent the repeat performances and they suggested some dental chews they offered. They did the trick. Apparently they are coated with an enzyme that combats decay as the dog chews. Ran about $10 a month for enough chews, but she never had to go back for dental care. I wish I could name them right now but we gave away the sticks a week or so ago. <short Web search later> They're Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews and apparently they're sold outside the vet's office as well.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve, thanks so much. I will be ordering some today. I brush the younger one daily but the old dog has gotten very grumpy and bites me if I try. We once paid a thousand for a dental. Vet care here is really expensive. My friends in the Midwest pay a third of what we do.

Steve, I ordered the chews and they will arrive on Saturday. The cost is certainly cheaper than dentals and then you don’t have the risk of anesthesia. I really hope it works for them. Thanks for the tip.

Terry, you're welcome. Hope they work out for you and your pup!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Brushing or chews help. Smaller breeds usually have more teeth issues. Ours get an annual cleaning which also helps.

I brush but don’t want my dogs knocked out yearly and since we often have 4 it gets super expensive due to high vet costs here.

Thread Information