Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doggie Dentals

Around here groomers will do it, so we ask them to do so, at a lower cost than the vet. But brushing at grooming visits every 8 weeks or so (who knows how well they do it?) is not enough. And our dog wouldn't let us get closer with a toothbrush.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I must be one of the few who actually runs out of doggie toothpaste and wears out toothbrushes. My tiny dog gets her teeth brushed every morning after I do mine; she likes the chicken flavor. Her canine teeth are stained near the gumline but my vet says her teeth are in good shape for her size/age.

One of our cats lets me brush his teeth. The other says "hell to the no" when we get anywhere near his mouth, and always has. A couple years ago both needed dentals so it didn't seem to help that I was brushing one's teeth. Now they're both senior citizens and have lost the majority of their teeth. At this point the vet thinks that the anesthesia would be worse for them than living with poor teeth (domesticated cats can live just fine without teeth. they build up calluses on their gums that are sufficient to even manage dry kibble.) so we'll not be doing dentals for them ever again. While I wish their teeth were in better shape I'm glad to not be spending $600/apiece on dental visits anymore. And a dental visit at this point would probably just amount to pulling most of what's left of their teeth anyway.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    One of our cats lets me brush his teeth. The other says "hell to the no" when we get anywhere near his mouth, and always has. A couple years ago both needed dentals so it didn't seem to help that I was brushing one's teeth. Now they're both senior citizens and have lost the majority of their teeth. At this point the vet thinks that the anesthesia would be worse for them than living with poor teeth (domesticated cats can live just fine without teeth. they build up calluses on their gums that are sufficient to even manage dry kibble.) so we'll not be doing dentals for them ever again. While I wish their teeth were in better shape I'm glad to not be spending $600/apiece on dental visits anymore. And a dental visit at this point would probably just amount to pulling most of what's left of their teeth anyway.
    Wow, jp1...I'm amazed that one of your cats sits still and lets you brush it's teeth.....my cats have always been resistant to such. Rob

Dental disease leads to heart disease and death.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Wow, jp1...I'm amazed that one of your cats sits still and lets you brush it's teeth.....my cats have always been resistant to such. Rob
    The mellow one is also fine with having his nails trimmed. The other, not so much...

Steve, the dental sticks arrived and all my dogs love them. I used to do a afternoon treat but now give this instead. I hope it works as well for them as it did for your dog.

Hope so, too, Terry!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I took my cats to the vet today. Now in the past I never took animals to the vet. My last cat never saw a vet and died at 20 years old, toothless. But now I'm trying to be the more 'responsible' pet owner. I'm not as desperately poor as I once was, so I'm trying. But it's expensive nonetheless. Anyway the vet said one cat had the beginnings of tooth and gum disease and could use a dental treatment. That kind of care is way to expensive for me to take on.

So I am playing the devils advocate here. You truly are too poor to afford it or aren’t willing to spend your money that way?

Thread Information