Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my daughter is doing so well

ZG,

Has your daughter considered training for a high-demand occupation? There are about 51,000 job openings for truck drivers nationally. A commercial vehicle driver's license plus hazardous materials certification should be good for $60K annual income. It might be of interest to someone who lives drug- and alcohol-free. <I say this knowing practically nothing about your daughter … I am making no assumptions about her one way or the other.> In a recession (which is inevitable eventually) many of the trucking jobs will disappear.

https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2...s-big-rig-work

Truck drivers must be able to lift 50lbs which is what the chains weigh when they have to chain up due to snow.

Yppej
    Well I'm a generation older than her daughter and I can lift 50 pounds. That's how much a bag of ice melt weighs and I carry it upstairs from the basement.

She could have physical issues that would prevent that from happening. Also you have to want to roll around in the mud and snow to chain up. Locally we have what a called “chain monkeys” that will do it for you but it is expensive. They go up the mountain and wait for customers when the weather is bad.

Dado, thank you for the idea. It is not a likely fit for my daughter. She has no interest in a hands on type of job. She is about 5'3" and about 100 lbs without a lot of mechanical ability and allergies to the outside world (and half of the inside). My other daughter about the same size but with a lot of mechanical ability.

There may be numerous reasons why driving truck would not be somebody's cuppa tea. But I note that about half the fleet on the road today is equipped with automatic transmissions.

Thread Information