Thread: today's crochet class

today's crochet class

So I have another session of crochet class, today and next Sunday 2 hours each. And the same ladies signed up! That is cool, we are going to keep going on their projects. So now how to keep teaching them things and moving forward while supporting their projects.

One thing I had not taught was a cluster stitch, and one lady wanted to learn flowers. So I am thinking about teaching the cluster stitch, showing a flower idea and then having them make up a flower for themselves. It is an open-form class so I want to push a little into creating their own ideas with the foundation of skills they have and have learned.

I am thinking about doing a 'task box', which is some cards with small crochet tasks on them that they have to try. They just pick a card at random and have to do that short project (something that can be done in less than 30 minutes). One idea is to add a fancy yarn edge to a piece, another is to string 12 beads on the yarn and crochet a few rows of any stitch working the beads in.

Hmmm, ideas are welcome, it is at 2 MST, some ideas may be used next week as well.

Zoe Girl: I'm sorry that I don't have any suggestions, but I like your ideas and the fact that the same women signed up is certainly the ultimate in positive feedback! They must love the individualized attention, although it would certainly be nice if you get a few more students.
    Here is a goofy thing I saw on FB just for laughs:
    crochet.jpg

Oh Rosa - that's actually frightening!

Zoe...I think I'd like your card idea if I already had the skills - you know, inspiration to get out of a rut, but would be frustrated if I didn't.

I think it originally had a caption along the lines of "just because you can crochet it, doesn't mean you should."

OMG Rosa, that is scary! It is true that you do not need to crochet everything you think of. The 70's had some bad men's clothing with granny squares.

It actually was new people but had the same first name as a previous student. So I was able to start from the beginning. We spent about half the class going over the basics, types of yarn, tools, and then working on the basic stitches with a sampler. In that I integrate pattern reading and the magic ability to make sure your project stays the same width the entire time! Then they chose from a few options what they wanted to learn next (ruffle, flat circle or granny square potholder). We started our granny squares in cotton today and should be able to finish them at the next class if they do some work at home. I also teach guage and fixing mistakes in the second class, sometimes advanced pattern reading and technique (like front post/back post, clusters, dragon stitch, etc).

Thanks for listening, I am having fun with this.

It does sound fun, glad this is working out for you.

Thread Information