Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Marie Kondo

Reverse Marie Kondo

Interesting article about how thoughtful acquisition is as important as decluttering in creating a home you love:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/20/r...te-left-region

Neat article. I have the same sense of creating my own space so understand what she is writing about.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Still haven't read her, but wouldn't her does this give you joy still apply? If that is the case, how is this reverse?

It's "reverse" because it is only about acquiring things that spark joy, not getting rid of them. For example, not buying living room furniture because you feel you must have a sofa and chairs and end tables.

I think it is a good idea to live in a space for a while before investing a lot of time or money in it - that's kind of a permaculture priciple.

The apartment in the article seems pretty cookie-cutter to me, so I'm not sure it's the greatest example.

I also thought it was funny that she got "temporary" mugs from Crate & Barrel. Maybe she hasn't heard about the Dollar Store 😊

Or thrift stores

When I moved to Nevada I took my favorite furniture pieces and left the rest with my ex. I took time to buy a bedroom set that really suited me. I also needed end tables and a coffee table but didn’t rush. I didn’t bring dishes and it was fun to buy what I really liked. Then somehow I got off track and bought too much crap when we moved to a bigger house to accommodate my step son and my 2 kids that wanted to return to college. I have spent the last 8 years decluttering from that fiasco. It is my own fault as I bought too much stuff.

I can't read the article because of the paywall, but anyone who buys temporary mugs at crate and barrel sounds like my kind of gal. But why temporary? Why not permanent mugs at crate and barrel?
    I used to walk to work each day right by the crate and barrel flagship store on Michigan avenue and I swear 40 years later, there are pieces of Marimekko clothing and Iitala glass I am still sorry that I did not buy. They still spark regret, I guess.

Tybee,
    that's a great phrase, "spark regret"!
    My SO still speaks nostalgically about an old truck he had fixed up and kept for many years. He maintained it lovingly. He finally sold it but even now, years later, wishes he'd been able to keep it. He otherwise has simple tastes and is not a hoarder but I know if he could jump back in time and retrieve that truck he'd do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Tybee,
    that's a great phrase, "spark regret"!
    My SO still speaks nostalgically about an old truck he had fixed up and kept for many years. He maintained it lovingly. He finally sold it but even now, years later, wishes he'd been able to keep it. He otherwise has simple tastes and is not a hoarder but I know if he could jump back in time and retrieve that truck he'd do it.
    I wish he had kept the old truck too. Old trucks are super trendy right now, they are cool.

Teacher Terry’s post about bedroom set reminded me: DH brought to our Hermann house the bedroom set that I had made him get rid of 30 years ago when we got married. Then, it was ugly and huge. Now, 30 years later, it is cool and vintage. It is from the 1960s.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-22-18 at 12:41pm.

Thread Information