Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The 85006's latest issue with Trump

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Perhaps you could use your activist sideline to change the Coronado neighborhoods zoning regulations to keep people with money out or at least require the approval of a commission of activists to ensure social mobility is quashed. Some people invest lots of time and energy trying to maintain the integrity of their neighborhoods and it seems like that may be something you'd enjoy.
    There's no need to engage in activism to "squash" social mobility, Alan. With all due respect and no snark intended, the country you believe in does this already, systemically and much more efficiently that I ever could as an activist. Not that I would want to squash social mobility - I'd want the exact opposite. It's America that wishes to squash social mobility and is quite effective at doing so - I am a fortunate, very fortunate exception. Don't believe me? Ask a millennial about this issue - the majority will agree with me. Try it...…..don't believe me and give it a try. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    There are lots of small neighborhoods in Phoenix that are like little towns. We are a city of villages. Politics change quickly just a few miles away from a neighborhood. I see lots of community solidarity - dare I generalize here??? - especially among Hispanic communities.

Rob lives very close to the hospital where I work. We are the only public hospital in Arizona and are the safety net - we turn no one away. I’ve had patients and coworkers from dozens of countries, representing every continent except Antarctica.

I never saw such a cultural divide until I moved here. Joe Arpaio is the mirror universe opposite of Rob.

There’s lots of racism here. And classism. It hurts my soul on a daily basis.

And I’m the old rich white Woman who bought a house in the hood and I’m probably contributing to gentrification. But our house is staying pretty much the way it was 50 years ago with just some upkeep and tree planting and such.

Rob is extreme in his verbiage, I agree. He’s an activist. But in my quiet little white heart, I feel what he says. I see examples of it all the time. Yes I recognize some of the things about Rob that annoy some of you - what seems like inconsistencies etc. but he’s getting at something that needs to be exposed. Systemic racism is everywhere in this city.

Ok - I’ll stop now. Just had to speak up a little for Rob. Who I may meet in person someday.
    Tammy, Thank You. For the kind words and also for shedding some light on what's going on in Phoenix. I just wanted to also say that I really respect you for staying with the hospital that you refer to, instead of trying to get into Mayo or St. Joes or the assembly line health care Honor Health offers. Kudos to you for staying with this hospital. And I must say as a former AHCCCS member (Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System, AKA Medicaid in Arizona) I was VERY impressed with the care I received while I was inpatient with my liver infection a year and a half ago. Seriously......I had a much more pleasant experience overall there than I did at Banner back in 2014 with my gall bladder issues.

The difference in care was so pronounced that I have steered others to your hospital over other local hospitals......though I will say that my Mother recently had a procedure done on her foot at St. Luke's and I was impressed with the care she received there, too. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    With all due respect and no snark intended, the country you believe in does this already, systemically and much more efficiently that I ever could as an activist. Not that I would want to squash social mobility - I'd want the exact opposite. It's America that wishes to squash social mobility and is quite effective at doing so - I am a fortunate, very fortunate exception.
    It wasn't America advising us that:
    "
    I do know that the Coronado neighborhood in the 85006 is getting very spendy and new people with money that don't really fit well into the area are moving in ……."
    So forgive my noting your disapproval and commenting on it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Rob - I plan to stay with MIHS for 8-9 more years. All the way to retirement. I’ve never worked for a better system, in spite of our resource challenges. It’s a mission driven company. Reminds me of religious mission except we’re secular. Peace corps-like — but in our own country.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    There are lots of small neighborhoods in Phoenix that are like little towns. We are a city of villages. Politics change quickly just a few miles away from a neighborhood. I see lots of community solidarity - dare I generalize here??? - especially among Hispanic communities.

Rob lives very close to the hospital where I work. We are the only public hospital in Arizona and are the safety net - we turn no one away. I’ve had patients and coworkers from dozens of countries, representing every continent except Antarctica.

I never saw such a cultural divide until I moved here. Joe Arpaio is the mirror universe opposite of Rob.

There’s lots of racism here. And classism. It hurts my soul on a daily basis.

And I’m the old rich white Woman who bought a house in the hood and I’m probably contributing to gentrification. But our house is staying pretty much the way it was 50 years ago with just some upkeep and tree planting and such.

Rob is extreme in his verbiage, I agree. He’s an activist. But in my quiet little white heart, I feel what he says. I see examples of it all the time. Yes I recognize some of the things about Rob that annoy some of you - what seems like inconsistencies etc. but he’s getting at something that needs to be exposed. Systemic racism is everywhere in this city.

Ok - I’ll stop now. Just had to speak up a little for Rob. Who I may meet in person someday.
    Hi Tammy,

Sorry I forgot to add - Thanks for the compliment - that I am the mirror universe opposite of Joe Arpaio. I find this flattering, especially since I have protested against Joe Arpaio numerous times downtown....thanks for the kind words here and the recognition that I am very much a 180 from Joe Arpaio and all that he and many of his supporters believe in/stand for. Rob

I was thinking of Star Trek - with the mirror universe concept. 🚀😄

Thread Information