Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: What would you do here?

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    So let me get this straight, Alan, no pun intended of course LOL. Are the millions of people who hold citizenship in better countries with socialized medicine as part of the deal - are they "not taking responsibility for themselves?"
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's no reason you can't enjoy all the benefits of US citizenship. By all popular (but misguided) accounts you're a person of privilege, over-educated for your chosen profession, in a stable partnership, homeowner, landlord, employed full time, healthy, able and upwardly mobile. The only problem seems to be that you've been taught and encouraged to hate your country of birth, a country that has no expectations of you but may never live up to yours, which is a shame, life here is pretty damn good when you let it and I don't think you're able to acknowledge that.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

We need Medicare for all but it needs to be funded. We could quit giving so many corporate tax cuts or not spend so much on the military, etc. There are many ways to do it. Europeans pay much more in taxes for all the social benefits. We that want change need to fight for the change we want instead of complaining. We are lucky to be in a big country that can perform life saving procedures. I think I mentioned before that no one in Poland could do the complicated 14 hour brain surgery that my DIL needed. A little boy there is trying to raise the money to come here for the same surgery. On the other hand the hospital and doctor wouldn’t even give my DIL a appointment until she could prove she had health insurance or 1 million in the bank. This is wrong.

I live in phx in the 85007 so I know his facts are true.

Thanks Tammy.

Yppej
    The grass is always greener. My stepgrandfather fled horrible poverty in the Ukraine just before the Bolshevik revolution. From afar in Canada he admired it. At last, a society where everyone is equal!

He worked hard at everything from building railroads to farming and despite supporting a blended family saved enough to return and visit the USSR, I believe in the 1950's. He came back and said, "Yes, they're all equal. They're all poor."

Never again did he talk up the Soviet Union. Instead he regularly sent care packages to family there.

Note this was before Canada had socialized medicine. It was still a paradise in comparison.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    What about the next of kin? Who buried the body? The probate court or will? Did any of these tell you to keep these possessions? Did you even try to notify anyone?
    No next of kin, no probate court, tenant verbally stated that my Mother could have all her things and also put it in writing and signed her name to such but it was not a formal document nor was it notarized if you wish to get picky. I was in Denver when the body was found in the guesthouse and the tenant was pronounced deceased - from what we understand her body was cremated as she (the tenant) basically had no assets or money. I'm not really sure where her ashes are now to be honest and I don't know which government agency handled the cremation.

If you are wondering how she paid for rent, a friend of mine - interestingly enough someone who once posted here from time to time and who I have kept in touch with via email - suggested trying that she get on SSI and she tried that and it worked to the tune of $700 something a month. Enough to keep her housed and fed and she had Medicaid for her numerous appointments and for her Parkinson's classes at a local Parkinson's clinic. Rob

PS The story gets more interesting, too, as when we first met this person, a wealthy friend of hers was cutting her a check of $1,000 a month and she was paying for her life based on that. The wealthy friend cut her off eventually and then she applied for SSI. I mention this only as I've noticed there are those who will look for such details on my posts so I'm giving this level of detail here and now.

TMS: if she died in the guest house they incurred clean up costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    TMS: if she died in the guest house they incurred clean up costs.
    You better believe it! We had to clean, disinfect, repaint, replace the carpeting with vinyl, and throw out all the secondhand furniture and replace it with "new" - at least new to us - secondhand furniture. Also we replaced the sink cabinet and the fridge and the microwave - the latter two with secondhand replacements, due to the smell. Luckily we live in a Hispanic neighborhood and it's easy to find people to help with clean up at a sane and fair price. But it was a pain and it was smelly and disgusting. Rob

PS Came back to add - something that really bummed me out was that our deceased tenant did leave a lot of clothing behind. Because of her issues with incontinence, the clothing smelled awful, probably because the guesthouse is so small and any smell is going to be magnified under these conditions. I tried washing the clothes twice to remove the smell so as to donate these items to charity but the smell would not go away, so I left the clothes out on the street in a box and little by little, the items were taken and I hope whoever took them could remove the smell and sell them and/or use them. I did what I could about this and tried to pass some good along......Rob

I move every dead body on our island. It is indeed quite messy. I don't get gold rings for it though. That's how we roll, here in the 98245.

Interesting update.....SO has family coming up from Zacatecas to visit and they will be staying in the guesthouse.....first time it's been occupied since our late tenant passed. I am happy thinking of it temporarily occupied by people happy to be there and people that I am glad to have the chance to get to know better. It's almost like smudging the place with sage in a way, not to disparage in the slightest any Native American rituals. Rob

Thread Information