Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: What would you do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    +1
    Likewise here in AZ. Teacher pay is 50th of the 50 states.

It's like living in an underfunded household - we just roll from one crisis to another and only have funds to put out that fire, nothing to really make the state what it could be.
    Well, at least now I know why I pay such outrageous taxes in NJ. We're #2. https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-schools/5335/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

On Mr MM forum a teacher from Minneapolis is making 92k/year. I was shocked as she only had about 10 years experience.

Please explain to me the significance of the zip codes mentioned. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Please explain to me the significance of the zip codes mentioned. Thanks.

In the case of my little rental house in 85008, it's a long-time working class neighborhood near downtown that has attracted the interest of investors. Meaning those investors scoop up the affordable older houses, flip them, and raise property prices overall. It makes homeowners wealthier on paper, but also means their own adult children now typically have to seek out housing farther away. All of this has accelerated lately because Phoenix is now a city with the largest gap between income and affordable housing - a big change from many decades of lower than average wages but lower than average housing costs.

I actually have mixed feelings about gentrification. The houses that were neglected do need an owner with enough funds to get them repaired and remodeled if the sellers can't or won't do it. Otherwise they'd continue to decay and no one wants to live in a slum. But it wouldn't be such a big issue if there were other options for those on a limited budget - that's the tension between progress and potential buyers who are now shut out of that market.

Thread Information