Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do here?

I wouldn't think he is poor poor, and then when I think about it isn't Rob's profession actually fairly high paying even before he was in management? I think the tendency is to think it's not as it's service work, and yes it is true that *much* service work doesn't pay well, but I've heard waiting actually can. So ... I don't know.

But it doesn't have some white collar accouterments that horror horror ... I mean it's fine to be better suited for service work, blue collar, pink collar, or whatever than white collar work, if one knows oneself and what best suits one, and can ALSO get it (ie someone will hire one for it), and ALSO make their bills off it (ie living wage) then good, very rarely are all these conditions met but ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Catholic Charities consistently gets very high ratings for their social programs and how they administer their funds.
    My quibble is not with the percent of funds spent on services vs overhead, but on the fact that a gay man is giving business to a homophobic organization.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Add trips to Europe to the list of privileges.
    I agree that international travel is a privilege and question folks receiving publicly subsidized health care, or the benefit of any other publicly subsidized program, enjoying this privilege.

Did not the woman have family that you probably contacted when she died? I would think the rings should go to them. They might have sentimental value.

Considering the person died in the guest house, paid no deposit and it sounds like no one picked up her stuff, Rob may have had clean up costs depending on how long before she was discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    My quibble is not with the percent of funds spent on services vs overhead, but on the fact that a gay man is giving business to a homophobic organization.
    Rob said the name of the charity was Maggie's Place, a Catholic charity, not Catholic Charities.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Rob said the name of the charity was Maggie's Place, a Catholic charity, not Catholic Charities.
    Check out their website. They partner with Catholic Charities. If the expectant mother decides to give the baby up for adoption what do you think the chances are a same sex couple can adopt the child?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Sorry, I call BS.

I sampled “Sold” data from Realtor.com for the first 5 single family properties for which I could find sales data reaching back to your ten year mark and beyond. Every one of them, 100%! sold for far more than $50,000*

So, what’s my point? This attempt to look poor seems like more faux facts from you, our resident unreliable narrator. You are the poster boy of middle class privileged America. White, college educated, home owner, landlord. Oh, and now holder of gold jewelry.

Well, I do agree that it doesnt matter a whole lot how much your real estate is worth if you are living in it and don't intend to move. But a little casita in back that generates $5,000 passive income is pretty luxe.

* here is the data

1639 E. Harvard sold for $160,000 in 2007

1533 E. Brill sold for $230,000 in 2006

1224 E. hubbell sold for $147,000 in 2004

1813 W. willetta sold for $190,000 in 2008

1519 E. Cambridge sold for $140,000 in 2005
    Hi IL.....there is a problem with your stats here, IL. The real estate meltdown hit Phoenix hard at the end of 2008 - checks stats for 2009 and 2010....in mid 2011, values started very very very slowly rising again, ditto for 2012, and by 2014 Phoenix was off to the races again. Recently the average price of a house in Phoenix hit a new record high but I don't see wages rising to match and my guess is now is a good time to sell and flee if so inclined as I personally don't believe this can last much longer.

But to the point? Check out stats during the depth of the housing crisis and you'll find numbers that more closely match mine. Also, 1813 West Wiletta? That's in a very spendy area known as Willow - very close in to Central Avenue, very spendy, and a number of very well off gay men and their partners live in this neighborhood - it's your stereotypical completely restored historic neighborhood with real estate values to match. The house on Harvard? This was around the peak of real estate prices in Phoenix, and the house on Hubbell? I don't know the house but for the date you list that is overpaying a good 20% to 1/3rd. I don't know Brill Street but 2006 was the year before the pre collapse peak in Phoenix real estate. Try 2009 and 2010 as dates and see what you come up with. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Check out their website. They partner with Catholic Charities. If the expectant mother decides to give the baby up for adoption what do you think the chances are a same sex couple can adopt the child?
    My sister sold three of her children through Catholic Charities while she was on the run from the law. Grrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Hi IL.....there is a problem with your stats here, IL. The real estate meltdown hit Phoenix hard at the end of 2008 - checks stats for 2009 and 2010....in mid 2011, values started very very very slowly rising again, ditto for 2012, and by 2014 Phoenix was off to the races again. Recently the average price of a house in Phoenix hit a new record high but I don't see wages rising to match and my guess is now is a good time to sell and flee if so inclined as I personally don't believe this can last much longer.

But to the point? Check out stats during the depth of the housing crisis and you'll find numbers that more closely match mine. Also, 1813 West Wiletta? That's in a very spendy area known as Willow - very close in to Central Avenue, very spendy, and a number of very well off gay men and their partners live in this neighborhood - it's your stereotypical completely restored historic neighborhood with real estate values to match. The house on Harvard? This was around the peak of real estate prices in Phoenix, and the house on Hubbell? I don't know the house but for the date you list that is overpaying a good 20% to 1/3rd. I don't know Brill Street but 2006 was the year before the pre collapse peak in Phoenix real estate. Try 2009 and 2010 as dates and see what you come up with. Rob
    Ok,I will look into this. I have been skimming articles that verify Phoenix as a volatile housing market.

Thread Information