Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do here?

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Are you implying that the many millions of citizens of better countries whose lives are worth socialized medicine of this caliber? And you did not address my question regarding how to jusfity the lack of socialized medicine in this country.....how can one judge anyone for disrespecting a country with this lack when any comparable country indeed has socialized medicine as one of the perks of citizenship? It's great to throw around platitudes but they mean nothing. I'm all about asking the hard, uncomfortable questions and have no qualms about holding a given society/country accountable for this lack......do you have answers to offer or high sounding platitudes? I seek answers and accountability - and America has much to answer for. Rob
    I was thinking more in terms of certain things which lose their value when you insist on putting a price on them.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Rob, I don't see things the way you do with respect to Respect,and I love my country and would be heartbroken to have to leave. The things you describe as proper behavior in Austria are how I was raised in America and how I still act towards others and my country's symbols, like her flag. But I get that others do not feel that way.
    With respect to the gold, I would sell it and take the money and put it in small bill denominations that you can pay out if you decide to "run" as you call it, as you aren't going to get change from the gold piece, and you need to be in a position of buying things like water and gas. I guess. So I would convert it to ones or fives.
    I had a Polish friend who believed her diamond ring would serve this purpose. I don't see that happening because of the change factor, but if you go with that theory, then keep them as rings and you can wear them if you "run."
    Respect is earned as I see it - and one good way for America to begin being worthy of respect - Medicare for all (or some similar plan of health care access for all)......I don't see a reason for respect if what I am worth in a given citizenship is not comparable to what I am worth in another given citizenship - provided both citizenships of comparison are of the same class, meaning in this case both citizenships under the microscope are in developed countries. Rob

I don't see a reason for respect if what I am worth in a given citizenship is not comparable to what I am worth in another given citizenship

The only worth you bring to your country is your vote and I believe the going rate is approximately $20 in the US, maybe it's higher in other countries. Regardless, if that's how you value yourself, the Churchill analogy is spot on.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

The only worth you bring to your country is your vote and I believe the going rate is approximately $20 in the US, maybe it's higher in other countries. Regardless, if that's how you value yourself, the Churchill analogy is spot on.
    It's not about the worth I bring to a given country, Alan, it's about what if what I receive justifies my effort in the first place. And yes, I was very very very young when I knew this one - and no one had to tell me this. It was common sense I figured out on my own. Rob

It's not about the worth I bring to a given country, Alan, it's about what if what I receive justifies my effort in the first place. And yes, I was very very very young when I knew this one - and no one had to tell me this. It was common sense I figured out on my own. Rob
    LOL, Rob. Try emigrating to any other country, it is about what you bring. So far, it looks like you'd be a net expense for the citizens of any country to absorb and the math just doesn't work.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

LOL, Rob. Try emigrating to any other country, it is about what you bring. So far, it looks like you'd be a net expense for the citizens of any country to absorb and the math just doesn't work.
    It's a two way street, Alan, if this is what you are saying, I'd agree with that much. And any given country has the right to decide if what I bring to the table cuts the mustard or not. I'll give you that here and now and I do this with no problem whatsoever.

My point has always been here that I - yes I - have the right to decide if what a given country country has in it for me is sufficient and cuts mustard with me...….once again, this street goes two ways. Just common sense from the 85006 - I only add my zip code here as it seem to me to be those of lower income who understand this basic common sense. It really seems as if not living in fear of a given country clouds judgement - I don't know this to be true 100% because I can't get into other people's heads, but it sure seems like this to me. Let's put it this way - if you were sick and struggling and in a state where Medicaid was not expanded, would YOU want to live in America? (Let's pick Texas as an example, conservative, no Medicaid expansion). If so, why? WHY WOULD YOU WORK AGAINST YOURSELF IN THIS WAY? For what purpose, for what gain? Rob

It's a two way street, Alan...…... WHY WOULD YOU WORK AGAINST YOURSELF IN THIS WAY? For what purpose, for what gain? Rob
    Different perspective I guess, two way street indeed. In my mind it's not working against myself, it's taking responsibility for myself, and not just me, but my family as well and that's the most important part.

I get that some folks don't want that responsibility but I don't think it's something you can outsource, and I'm not accustomed to interacting with people who reject that responsibility as vehemently as you do. You're a mystery to me.

And yet even now that your a man of means, your still here. And many others are still coming here illegally. Don’t they read your post?

I take it you have faith that the economy will remain as is for the long haul, then?
    Where did I say that?

I suspect you don’t have the resources and knowledge to be “investing” in gold, or holding it as a “store of value”, especially in light of the questions you have asked. I would avoid owning it, if I were you, until I’d done a few other more important things first. Which I don’t think you have.

Different perspective I guess, two way street indeed. In my mind it's not working against myself, it's taking responsibility for myself, and not just me, but my family as well and that's the most important part.

I get that some folks don't want that responsibility but I don't think it's something you can outsource, and I'm not accustomed to interacting with people who reject that responsibility as vehemently as you do. You're a mystery to me.
    So let me get this straight, Alan, no pun intended of course LOL. Are the millions of people who hold citizenship in better countries with socialized medicine as part of the deal - are they "not taking responsibility for themselves?" Is that what you mean? All the citizens of Canada, Australia, Singapore, New Zealand, Japan, all countries in the European Union, Britain (listed separately due to Brexit), Mexico, Uruguay, Argentina.....all these countries as these many people go about their daily business.....because their lives are worth socialized medicine they ARE NOT TAKING RESPONSIBILITY?

Nicest thing I can say here? Truly I am horribly miscast in my role as an American citizen. Very horribly miscast. And for the record, I find your post both chilling and terrifying.....no exaggeration at all. But then again, to be fair, I never believed in America.....I truly wonder if believing in such is required to believe in this country? Rob

Thread Information