Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do here?

What do the people of Austria think about the rentier class?

(And seriously, I wouldn't hold onto gold as an "investment" or "store of wealth" unless I had some other higher-priority items taken care of first and knew what the heck I was doing. Otherwise it's just silly.)

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

(And seriously, I wouldn't hold onto gold as an "investment" or "store of wealth" unless I had some other higher-priority items taken care of first and knew what the heck I was doing. Otherwise it's just silly.)
    I take it you have faith that the economy will remain as is for the long haul, then? That's cool and I won't take from that other than to say that if this is the case, I don't agree with you. Not one bit. And gold historically has been a safe haven when things have gone to hell. I look at it this way - if it's good enough for Scarlett O'Hara as a portable form of wealth as she built up her mill/lumber business in Atlanta during Reconstruction, it's good enough for me. (and yes I do know that Scarlett O"Hara was a figment of Margaret Mitchell's imagination.....but it still makes sense to me and I have no faith in the American economy over the long haul). Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

BTW, you do have a point about the rentier class in Austria.....with one difference in my case. I have family that would be so grateful to have me out of America and safely in the EU with socialized medicine and access to social welfare for all. Having family there makes a great deal of difference. Also I am not exactly fluent in German but am quite able to make myself understood and to get my points across. And here's a biggie - I would not be lacking in the Proper Respect. In Austria, that's a big deal, and I do have this to offer in everyday social situations whereas in America I don't really have this to offer. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    BTW, you do have a point about the rentier class in Austria.....with one difference in my case. I have family that would be so grateful to have me out of America and safely in the EU with socialized medicine and access to social welfare for all. Having family there makes a great deal of difference. Also I am not exactly fluent in German but am quite able to make myself understood and to get my points across. And here's a biggie - I would not be lacking in the Proper Respect. In Austria, that's a big deal, and I do have this to offer in everyday social situations where in America I don't really have this to offer. Rob
    I am afraid to ask, and will be sorry to know, but curiosity compels me to say do tell! What is “The Proper Respect?” I assume it is showing respect for the motherland, but I could be wrong.

In Hermann, as in most small rural areas, the new people are never accepted as being an intregal part, we are always outsiders. There is a lot of talk about that. But you know what? I dont think I care. I view it this way: The generations of Germans who built Hermann for the main purpose of retaining German culture have made this tiny town interesting and livable. THEY did the work, I didnt. As a carpetbagger why should I expect to jump deeply into the social mileau of this place? I will always be an outsider, and that is OK!

BTW, you do have a point about the rentier class in Austria.....with one difference in my case. I have family that would be so grateful to have me out of America and safely in the EU with socialized medicine and access to social welfare for all. Having family there makes a great deal of difference. Also I am not exactly fluent in German but am quite able to make myself understood and to get my points across. And here's a biggie - I would not be lacking in the Proper Respect. In Austria, that's a big deal, and I do have this to offer in everyday social situations whereas in America I don't really have this to offer. Rob
    What is "the Proper Respect"? I am not following you here, but am curious as to what you are talking about as far as Austrian vs. American cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    What is "the Proper Respect"? I am not following you here, but am curious as to what you are talking about as far as Austrian vs. American cultures.
    Addressing people formally, showing respect for job titles, displaying some gratitude towards Austria, in general not behaving as if you were auditioning to appear on the Jerry Springer Show. Not creating friction (something I am guilty of in the US, yes I grant that here and now) and being grateful for socialized pretty much everything basic. Not behaving as above your station in life and always showing the Austrian Flag proper respect. Not displaying wealth - if you have it - ostentatiously, and not using credit cards to get into debt to appear as if above your station in life. Not rocking the boat (this last one though? After Anschluss I would agree that this was not a good thing......this last one can and did have a dark side that led to many deaths)……...In general, behaving as Americans once did towards America in the age we experienced of actual opportunity and much less inequality for the average person. In Austria this is expected to this day and in return, the social welfare you get takes the breath away. In return for this, I am more than willing to show The Proper Respect. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am afraid to ask, and will be sorry to know, but curiosity compels me to say do tell! What is “The Proper Respect?” I assume it is showing respect for the motherland, but I could be wrong.

In Hermann, as in most small rural areas, the new people are never accepted as being an intregal part, we are always outsiders. There is a lot of talk about that. But you know what? I dont think I care. I view it this way: The generations of Germans who built Hermann for the main purpose of retaining German culture have made this tiny town interesting and livable. THEY did the work, I didnt. As a carpetbagger why should I expect to jump deeply into the social mileau of this place? I will always be an outsider, and that is OK!
    In the Homeland, I would always be a half outsider....partially in and partially out. Partially in due to my family there, partially out due to having been born outside the Homeland. So I understand where you are coming from here.....I'm OK with partial outsider status in return for a saner, more stable life with social welfare for all. And much less American style inequality. Rob

Something I just found out online...if you wish to purchase US gold coins, the denominations are as follows - one ounce, 1/2 ounce, 1/4 ounce, and 1/10th ounce. Rob

Addressing people formally, showing respect for job titles, displaying some gratitude towards Austria, in general not behaving as if you were auditioning to appear on the Jerry Springer Show.
    You know you could do that wherever you live and everyone would be better off for it. Be the change you want to see.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Alan, you are right. Although I am unhappy with some things in our country overall I am grateful to live here.

Thread Information