Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: What would you do here?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I move every dead body on our island. It is indeed quite messy. I don't get gold rings for it though. That's how we roll, here in the 98245.
    Bae. just please. There is no way I could have known I'd run across these gold rings nearly two years after her death. Please. This one is going a bit far...…...Rob

Bae, you cannot compare the 2 experiences. You are a volunteer first responder. Rob is a landlord. Frankly I am getting sick of your superiority. You think you are better then most people . Enjoy

The grass is always greener. My stepgrandfather fled horrible poverty in the Ukraine just before the Bolshevik revolution.
    I had family members who fled the class system in the U.K. (rather vanilla part of my family tree for sure, but these were latter arrivals and don't go way back). So they fled poverty too - for somewhere with more class mobility. Unfortunately I don't think that's the case anymore in the U.S. - what they fled for no longer exists.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    The class system in the UK has lessened (witness members of the royal family marrying commoners among other things) but there is a false narrative among some in the US that everything here is about class now, not race. We have here several members who rose from poverty to comfortable early retirement.

Our criminal justice system is riddled with racial bias though at every step of the process - disproportionate rates of being profiled, stopped and frisked, arrested, charged, convicted, and given a long sentence. So ANM depending on their skin tone fleeing here may well have resulted in better outcomes for your family members than for the descendants of people here for four centuries. I think we are much more classless than colorblind.

Totally agree Y. We are targeting black people and it is repugnant. Hopefully the next president won’t encourage that type of behavior.

but there is a false narrative among some in the US that everything here is about class now, not race.
    I actually think the issues are inescapably intertwined. I mean this is some recent Fed news:

A working paper published by the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis argues that the richest Americans took a brief hit during the 2008 financial crisis but their fortunes have grown even larger since then due to a booming stock market. And yet, the bottom 50% of U.S. households still have only half the wealth they did before the financial crisis. The divergence is one factor fueling income inequality in the U.S., which has increased since the crisis. The paper's authors also note that the disparity between the wealth of white and black households has stagnated, with the median black household having less than 11% of the wealth of the median white household, according to the study.
    Yea racism and poverty are totally intertwined. 11% of the wealth of white households. It doesn't mean there aren't plenty of poor white people though, there are, and like the Fed paper said the bottom 50% as a whole suffered.

But the poor whites aren't really Trump's base, that's just another stereotype (his base is actually mostly not poor, even if some poor white people vote for him, so did some people of other demographics - but the base more often earns decent money).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    A Bulgarian passport gets you into the EU - anywhere that is Schengen becomes open to you.....for some buying that farmette in Bulgaria is worth it due to that. In my case, it would mean the ability to live and work in the Homeland even though I would not have the citizenship or the passport to the Homeland. Rob
    We would not have got a Bulgarian passport, we just would have lived there.

You wouldn't do anything with an entry to the EU because you have told us multiple times that you will not leave the U.S. while your mother is alive. Even this blather about gold rings as flee money is stupid because you arent going to flee, it is just another excuse to dis the United States.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Luckily we live in a Hispanic neighborhood and it's easy to find people to help with clean up at a sane and fair price. b
    question about this statement. Are you discriminating against Hispanics by paying a lower wage than white folks? Are non Hispanics not sane?

question #2. Previously you wrote how low your property taxes are. How does a government (starting at the local level on up) pay for things like good schools, fire protection, help with mass transit, good social services and safety nets etc. if people don’t want to pay taxes?

Flowers, the answer to question 2 is they don’t. I live in a low tax state and quality of education is 49th in the nation. A lack of social services for people that need it. I came here for a job and was shocked how low our property taxes are. Roads are in bad shape. We are growing like crazy and rent and property values are skyrocketing. A family now needs to make 80k/year to buy a house. The average family with 2 full time workers makes 50k/year. A one bedroom apartment is between 1300-1600/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Flowers, the answer to question 2 is they don’t. I live in a low tax state and quality of education is 49th in the nation. A lack of social services for people that need it. I came here for a job and was shocked how low our property taxes are. Roads are in bad shape. We are growing like crazy and rent and property values are skyrocketing. A family now needs to make 80k/year to buy a house. The average family with 2 full time workers makes 50k/year. A one bedroom apartment is between 1300-1600/month.
    +1
    Likewise here in AZ. Teacher pay is 50th of the 50 states.

It's like living in an underfunded household - we just roll from one crisis to another and only have funds to put out that fire, nothing to really make the state what it could be.

Thread Information