Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do here?

It always amazes me how threads deviate so much from the OP.

Rob, when I took my and my late DH's wedding rings plus a couple of other rings to the jeweller to have them melted down and made into a dinner ring, the actual value of gold rings is quite limited. There was no question of the quality of the gold in them so the jeweller weighed them, designed a new ring with the engagement diamond in the middle and reduced the price accordingly. Take the rings to a reputable jeweller, get them weighed and sell.

I would agree with selling the rings. If you've decided that you need to diversify into gold* then use the money to buy one ounce gold coins. They will be much more easily convertible into cash if/when the need arises.

*not necessarily a bad idea for someone who thinks they may need to leave the country and wants to be able to carry some financial assets on their person.

I would be interested to know how much we are talking about here. Less than $2,000 I would think.

Rob’s real wealth is in his home and not these rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Rob’s real wealth is in his home and not these rings.
    Of course it is. Are you allowed to use the term “wealth” in conjunction with Rob’s name?

I am glad that he is not poor like I thought he was.

I am glad that he is not poor like I thought he was.
    Me too! I'm just surprised to see he is closer to being the millionaire next door than the bottom rung victim of America that he represents himself to be.
    Good on you though Rob, good on you!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Remember he co-owns it with his cousin so not close to millionaire Alan)

Remember he co-owns it with his cousin so not close to millionaire Alan)
    How do you know?

Over the years we've discovered that he enjoys the benefit of a college education, provided by his mother, he has been the beneficiary of at least one and maybe two inheritances which provided him with real property and cash. He has been able to advance to management in his chosen career, he recently married and we can assume he is the beneficiary of that second income and whatever assets his husband brought into the union, and he has recently allowed his friends and neighbors in the 85006 (as well as everyone outside) to foot the bill for an expensive medical malady without having to spend a cent of his personal wealth (whatever that may be).

I'm not an advocate of the mindset that classifies everyone according to perceived privilege as he is, but I'm thinking he fits the bill much better than I ever imagined. I'm actually happy for him.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    How do you know?

Over the years we've discovered that he enjoys the benefit of a college education, provided by his mother, he has been the beneficiary of at least one and maybe two inheritances which provided him with real property and cash. He has been able to advance to management in his chosen career, he recently married and we can assume he is the beneficiary of that second income and whatever assets his husband brought into the union, and he has recently allowed his friends and neighbors in the 85006 (as well as everyone outside) to foot the bill for an expensive medical malady without having to spend a cent of his personal wealth (whatever that may be).

I'm not an advocate of the mindset that classifies everyone according to perceived privilege as he is, but I'm thinking he fits the bill much better than I ever imagined. I'm actually happy for him.
    Add trips to Europe to the list of privileges.

Thread Information