Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caring not fixing

Catherine is right. We don’t operate in a pure meritocracy; but neither is it a Darwinian cesspool. I don’t see that the article points to some kind of natural law of increasing decency as you move down the spectrum of office to cubicle to janitor’s closet.

Is life unfair? Sure. Every fertilized egg is a roll of loaded genetic and sociopolitical dice. It only gets trickier from there. But it doesn’t follow from that that virtue is the sole province of the unsuccessful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    So Zoe Girl, what does caring vs. fixing look like on a day to day basis? I'm intrigued by your insight because it reminds me of ideas I see in 12-step programs. Can you explain more about the difference?
    thank you tybee,

Fixing is ending the day with goals and big plans, many of which require changing something about myself. Even if it a good or healthy idea it still is a self improvement type of thing. Like cut down on sugar, clean the car that is messy but not essential, even just make more organized lists.

Caring is taking care of things that are urgent or important, like paying bills on time. Caring is also saying that the candy bar or a messy car are just not that important if I am honestly tired that day. Resting helps my brain heal, pleasant things help my brain heal, overall good food helps me heal, but being super strict is not helping me heal,

Thanks, Zoe, I was totally off base with what you were saying, isn't that funny! So I am glad I asked. First, I was thinking in al-anon terms and I liked your words about caring, not fixing. Since that is what we try to do with our loved ones, since we are veteran fixers, thinking we can fix other people. Instead, we need to care about them. That's what I thought you were talking about, and so my mind ran with that.

But in a way I wasn't so off base since you are talking about self-care vs "I have to fix myself." And that is very al-anon, too. And I really like what you are saying here and I will need to ponder it this week and think about how to apply this principle to my OWN life, because I am like you--always trying to make a plan for self-improvement, etc. and it is exhausting and has led to a very basic feeling of "I am not alright the way I am." Which is not true, and I am getting tired of feeling I always need to fix me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Being a decent person and doing a good job are very good goals. Accepting and caring for who you are is the first step.
    That's true! Acceptance is very important.

Tybee, it helps to not buy or read womens magazines! I even get bugged by Oprah. There is outside pressure to constantly work on ourselves I feel

It’s funny Zoe girl, women’s magazines are one of those things I never really had around - except when mil left a “good housekeeping” behind - carefully dog eared for my edification. I also never really thought about it, but now I am thinking about my mom having them around all the time and the sense of pressure and dissatisfaction because she/we couldn’t maintain an exercise routine, make our house look like that, reproduce those cupcakes...

We homeschooled, we limited tv and internet. I have two adult daughters who are athletic and solidly built in a “healthy but my genes demand curves” way. They both wear their hair long and natural and either pulled back in a pony tail or up in a bun if appropriate. One wears make up because she likes it, the other only when she is trying to look”polished” and “professional”. They both work in very traditionally male fields (construction and men’s sports) They will tell you their age and their weight with no more concern than giving their coffee order.

in fact, recently they were boating with my bil, and water skiing. He had lifted the younger one into the boat with some risk of going over himself instead (all of her weight and his center of gravity were over the side of the boat...) when the older one got up to the side of the boat and he reached for her, she stopped him, looked at her sister, and asked “what do you weigh?” My bil was appalled: “did you just ask her what she weighs?! You don’t ask a woman what she weighs!” To which Dd replied “why? I’d like to know if i’m coming in the boat or you’re coming out.”

keep up the the good work - learn what rested feels like. Feel good in your body, and if you don’t, find out how to treat it so that you do. Keep using your mindfulness and meditation experience to let the negative thoughts go. You have a lot of negativity and toxic experiences to wash away, but you are on the right path.

I am much happier with my life without all the comparison with popular TV, magazines, and such which promote an idealized and glamorized view of the world. I really really dislike HGTV.

Thread Information