Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pesto alla Genovese

Pesto alla Genovese

Today I picked basil for pesto. My recipe used walnuts (instead of pine nuts), olive oil, grated parmesan cheese, garlic, pepper and salt. The room-temperature pesto (never heated) was mixed with half & half (milk & cream) and some of the pasta cooking water.

After forking out the pasta, a creamy sauce remained in the bowl … with a confetti of little green shreds of basil. I thought the best part was tilting the bowl and letting all that creamy sauce go down the hatch.

000_0247 (2).jpg
    Last edited by dado potato; 8-12-18 at 1:01pm.

That does sound and look good.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Looks really really good, I mean it!

I love walnut-spinach pesto; it's my favorite so far. This sounds pretty good also.

I did something like that a few nights ago: oil, my own fresh-picked basil and garlic formed the basis of the sauce, but I added fresh diced tomatoes from my garden. I did toast and add pine nuts, as well as a little parmesan cheese. It was really good.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That sounds scrumptious!

I wanted to make pesto recently but basil doesn't seem to be in season here. Maybe the season has already passed (since I recall seeing some), maybe I'll see some in the future.

I'd use walnuts for the nuts, maybe put cheese but maybe not. Serve it with pasta and potatoes. Yes both, yes seems like carb overkill, but I seldom eat pasta anyway and yes pasta and potatoes is how it's often served traditionally.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I've got lots of basil this year but every recipe seems to call for a food processor and I don't even have a blender.

Yppej,

I wonder if you might be on good terms with a neighbor who has a food processor and would form a partnership... whatever is fair... maybe 1/4 of the finished pesto as compensation for use of the machine and advice about how to use it?

There's always the old mortar and pestle; I saw a chef make some kind of green sauce in one on The Best Thing I ever Ate last night.

Thread Information