Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who knew it was so hard to buy string?

Who knew it was so hard to buy string?

I always am impressed by what was once a common place item that now is so hard to come by....my most recent discovery is string. Wouldn't you think string is a common place item? Well, it's not. The days of having a use for string is a thing of the past. I'm always looking to pick up string. Just a roll of string when I'm out shopping. I use lots. But what I've found is that most supermarket don't actually carry it. Tape, yes, string no. It's funny, (but not) because it means I have to make a special trip to a store I might not need to go to, to find the stuff. Todays shop was Winco. A big supermarket. No string. Usually, during the week, just go to grocery stores and gas stations....I don't go many other places. But of course, now I need to. Anyone else ever find they have difficulty finding 'common place' items?

Yes! Weirdly, I have had that same experience with string. And wooden matches, which I need to light my oven.

Wooden matches. Who knew? I've had a hard time in the past finding a simple plastic ball to give the kids.

"A world without string....is chaos."
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    We are lucky to have an "old fashioned" hardware store still in the middle of town, close enough to bike too. If I go in there and ask for string, they have a bunch of options. Of course, it is more expensive than the big box stores, but there is always a line at the register and plenty of helpful clerks. We go there for as much as we can because if they ever closed it would be a terrible loss.

Amazon is my friend. I've gotten everything there from alligator clips (to clip a pager button to my mom's blanket when she was confined in bed), to watch batteries (so much cheaper than a jeweler), to weed eater string, to pen ink replacements (even found some in purple, my son's favorite color!), to sponges (I bought a case of 24, now that should last a good while) to computer cables and adaptors. Many, many other things. I just don't want to be dragging kids into store after store looking for elusive items that they probably don't carry anymore anyway.

Mrs-M
    For string, DH and I buy it at Canadian Tire, as for wooden matches, DH buys those at an outdoor sporting goods store.

Other things I have tried to find and found only with difficulty: borax, washing soda, canning jars (now they seem to be everywhere - because of the economy maybe) and wax paper/freezer paper (the kind that has wax on one side). I am in the city, though, and I'm sure these items are still commonplace elsewhere.

All of the above and popsicle sticks. I was hunting for them the other day and had to go online.
    A regular analog dial telephone for when the power goes out. Found one at an old-timey thrift store eventually.
    Try shopping for a manual transmission car that has no power anything (doors, windows, ignition). They look at you like you've lost your mind.

I guess it's always like this with constantly changing times...hard to find the thing that used to be so commonplace!

Quote Originally Posted by puglogic View Post
    Try shopping for a manual transmission car that has no power anything (doors, windows, ignition).
    I still feel kind of uncomfortable with automatic windows - like I'm going to get stuck.

Thread Information