Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry cleaning sucks.

My dad gave up the starched packaged white shirts when he retired to his hobby farm. Tshirts and overalls were what he ended up in.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    If you get clothing of cotton and polyester mixes, they will wash in a machine just fine. Wash in warm or cool water (not hot.) Put in dryer, and when you take them out, shake them to get wrinkles out and hang them up immediately.
    As you asked for brands, for Khaki's, there are several, but one of the most durable brands I have used are Dickies. I tend to stay away from higher end clothing stores, as some fabrics, I don't do well with (wool gets me itchy with direct contact).

'93 was the last time I stepped foot in a dry cleaners. When I resigned from being a branch manager for a bank. Also noted as the last time I bought a full pair of pantyhose. Or heels for that matter.

I couldn't stand the smell of dry cleaners. That is a career I think I'd rather be homeless than do. It just smells toxic.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Land's End has all-cotton, no-iron shirts. They are treated with something that greatly reduces wrinkles. You have to get them out of the dryer right after the cycle stops and put them on hangers to prevent wrinkles. The shirts might still need a touch-up with an iron.

Or you can just wash cotton shirts, dry them and iron them. It takes about 5 minutes to iron a shirt. My brother does all his laundry Sunday afternoon while watching sportsball. He sets up the ironing board in front of the TV, irons 5 shirts and 5 pairs of pants, puts them on hangers, adds a tie to each outfit and he is done thinking about clothes for the week.

Dry cleaning?? Didn't know that was even a thing any more... About 20 years ago I stopped buying any clothing that wasn't wash and wear, although admittedly the dress code for teachers in California went from "dresses, jackets, hose and heels" to "slacks and shirts" then "jeans and sweaters" over about 2 years time. But at any rate, the smell of dry cleaned clothing makes me sick and I definitely didn't want to pay for it!

Wash in warm water, dry on permanent press, take out of dryer when just dry (25 minutes with a full load in mine, not the 45 that is the whole dryer cycle), straighten and Hang Immediately! Good to go!

Thread Information