Thread: Fall is coming... crock pot recipes?

Fall is coming... crock pot recipes?

Autumnal air will soon be blowing! What is your absolute favorite crock pot recipe?

This used to be my favorite, but as my husband went vegetarian, its way too much to do this for just me. Even with freezing, there is only so long you can keep things in the freezer. I'd get a 3-5 pound chuck roast (the kind that is tied up with string) and add one large thinly sliced onion and a can of beef broth and maybe a tablespoon or so of mixed Italian herbs and let it go all day. The meat just gets completely falling apart/easy to shred. I serve that over homemade german spaetzle, and thicken some of the broth from the crockpot with some flour or cornstarch or arrowroot to make a gravy.

I also do a vegetarian chili, where I use lots of vegetables minced up in the food processor (typically squash, carrots, mushrooms) along with beans, tomatoes and spices. The vegetables looks like hamburger when cooked. Have fooled a number of folks who ordinary wouldn't have gone for vegetarian chili.

I was just thinking of dusting off the crock pot and putting it on the porch to do pulled pork and then pulled beef and also pulled chicken. I like keeping those in the freezer so I can quickly do up tacos or other dishes. Still too hot to put the crock pot in the kitchen.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Soups: Lentil soup and bone broth are my standards.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Mississippi Roast: a beef chuck roast slow-cooked with spices and peperoncini (think pickled Anaheim peppers) and served with ranch dressing. 6-7 hours in the slow cooker feeds us for many meals.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Mississippi Roast: a beef chuck roast slow-cooked with spices and peperoncini (think pickled Anaheim peppers) and served with ranch dressing. 6-7 hours in the slow cooker feeds us for many meals.
    Must try! sounds good.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I'd never heard of Mississippi Roast so I had to fire up the Google machine to check it out. Besides having an interesting beginning, it's also going on my recipe list.
    Thanks Steve for the heads up!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I like to make Mizutake, which is a traditional Japanese Winter dish.
    The Japanese sit around the pot in one group and dip stuff out,
    but we just dip it out as we want a bowlful.
    You use bamboo baskets or plain old slotted spoons or skimmers to
    dip out the solid food from the broth, if you want to eat it over rice or by itself;
    though you can eat it as soup if you prefer.

In a pot full of chicken broth and/or miso broth, (with an optional pinch of dried seaweed)
    you put chunky chicken and oriental vegetables, either parboiled if you want them quickly,
    or raw if you want to wait for hours...I always parboil 'em myself.
    Personally I use a little garlic and ginger in the broth, but I just like chicken that way...
    Ingredients vary depending on what you have or prefer ,
    but I tend to use some of the stuff listed below:

chunky chicken
    water chestnuts, sliced or whole
    baby corn cobs
    FAT green onions (or sliced leeks)
    sliced or baby carrots
    bamboo shoots
    mushrooms
    edible pea pods
    tofu

It tastes very chicken-y and is *very warming in cold weather*.
    You just dip it out with a slotted spoon or other slotted utensil.
    If you hate an ingredient and your spouse loves it, it is easy to tip it
    off of the slotted utensil as you dip.

I can tell you how to easily carve those daisy-shaped carrots; my wife has arthritis,
    so the regular carrots one carves from don't come into our house
    baby carrots only in our house-saves peeling and carving...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by heatmiser; 8-21-18 at 12:23pm.

Thread Information