Thread: What does Social Justice mean to you?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

What does Social Justice mean to you?

Just curious, since there are those here who often disagree with me, what does Social Justice mean to you? I'm interested in what OTHER people think Social Justice means/stands for. Rob

To me, social justice is just the concept of fairness, ensuring that opportunities are not restricted and that justice is blind. This version of social justice cannot work in a world of identity politics and the division that ensues so it's not very popular among those who believe it should be applied selectively.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

It is not a concept that interests me enough to formulate a personal definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    To me, social justice is just the concept of fairness, ensuring that opportunities are not restricted and that justice is blind. This version of social justice cannot work in a world of identity politics and the division that ensues so it's not very popular among those who believe it should be applied selectively.
    I think that’s very true. If “social justice” is citing a history you were not a part of in an attempt to extract concessions from people who have done you no harm, then there is no justice in social justice. It’s just tribalism dressed up in self-serving platitudes.

Frankly, to me it's just a buzzword.

Yppej
    Breaking down barriers and becoming a more inclusive society. The trajectory of the United States has been to move from a less great nation where only propertied white males could vote, for instance, towards a more perfect union. This is the great story of our country, not the wars and battles I was taught to memorize in school.

Thread Information