Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What markers do you define yourself by?

I still see myself as a punk rock kid, sigh. And I have a cute short haircut and white hair. Well my shoes are still cool!

Female, white haired, mom and grandma, meditator, Buddhist, crochet artist and teacher, vegetarian (90%), um generally really nice person.

My horses are my identity. And up until recently, a particular breed was my marker.

I really wonder why people recoil from labels when it comes to their persons but they love labels when it comes to their food and beverage.
    To me, a label implies some behavior is within a predictable box. I don't want to limit myself that way. My views are often more nuanced that a label would imply. There's also the us vs them aspects of labels. For example: on some things I hold Libertarian views, but I also think single payer health care would be a good thing. If I called myself a Libertarian, I would be inconsistent with what people expect of a Libertarian. I don't want to get into endless arguments, I just want to act as I see fit in a particular set of circumstances. A label is limiting.

If you had asked, what do you think are your best qualities or what things do you feel passionate about, that would have a whole different feel to it than what labels do you put on yourself.

And for what its worth, I'm not that fond of labels on my food or beverage either. I go for functionality first.

Okay, watch this. I am about to change your mind about labels.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    To me, a label implies some behavior is within a predictable box. I don't want to limit myself that way.
    Your screen name is herbgeek. You have literally labeled yourself a geek for herbs.

My views are often more nuanced that a label would imply.
    Tell me your views. I bet you I can find or create labels for you.

A label is limiting.
    You have labeled labels as limiting. You literally created a meta-label.

And for what its worth, I'm not that fond of labels on my food or beverage either. I go for functionality first.
    Which foods or beverages would you label functional?

1. Boom!
    2. I rest my case.
    3. Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I really wonder why people recoil from labels when it comes to their persons but they love labels when it comes to their food and beverage.
    I think it is because food and beverages are static while most people are not. Personally, I feel I am always changing which makes it hard to apply a label. And, even if a label is applied, it only applies to one small part of who I am.

catherine, nice "About Me". I enjoyed Breakfast with Buddha as well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Rocky Mountain Girl livin' and workin' and playin' in the city

Labels are just a shorthand for communication.

Sometime they serve some purpose for some people, especially when identifying small aspects of ourselves.

I am bulldog lover, grower of iris and lilies, old house hugger. These are aspects of me and convey my interests in life. They do not completely characterize me.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Labels are just a shorthand for communication.

Sometime they serve some purpose for some people, especially when identifying small aspects of ourselves.

I am bulldog lover, grower of iris and lilies, old house higger. These are aspects of me and convey they life i terests. They do not completely characterize me.
    Taking IL's cue, then, I am a mother of 4, big interest in permaculture, the environment, and simple spirituality as defined by writers such as Thich Naht Hanh, Richard Foster, Thoreau, Joanna Macy, Anthony deMello and Richard Rohr. I'm a go-with-the-flow kind of person but disorganized and I tend to apologize too much.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Sure, but Ms. Prynne didn’t pin the letter on herself as Rob is inviting us to.
    Yeah, but the dude that knocked her up pinned a letter on himself.

I had a conversation with a group of people the other day and someone pointed out that even though I didn't currently have horses people could really tell that that is what defined me even more than our years having a hot glass studio.
    Until I get back into horses (if ever) I pass time with moving rocks or floating kayaks. Though I find great enjoyment in the things I do I do feel very unsettled in the life I've had...something's missing that was "me". Mainly something with 4 hooves and mouth that'll eat a person out of house and home.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information