Historic status usually is undesirable for the lower social orders* and crackpot libertarians** because it comes with architectural standards that must be followed. The lower social orders scream they cannot afford perceived prissy requirements and they want their chain link fences and cheap plastic windows. The faux libertarians just want the gubmnt out of their lives.

What cops have to do with it is a mystery to me. My historic district wants the presence of police, we coddle them, we have numerous programs to maintain relations with them.

And the historic district status is what formed our community and created activists 40 years ago. New people moving in here have little understanding of the real sweat and effort (not typing on a computer) that went into saving our old building from the wrecking ball.

But I can understsnd that as gentrification happens, people of higher income move in and values of the community change. You still have a community but it may not be the community you like.

Higher taxes shouldnt be a problem because paying for schools and libraries and rec centers and water systems and all of the shared services provided to the people just seems like the right thing to do when everyone benefits. Or am I wrong here? Perhaps you DONT want to pay for the stuff you get after all.

* Rob’s term
** my term for libertarians who dont understand that ordinances crafted by the local community aint The Feds imposing one size fits all commandments