Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Easing back in

For the class I teach we are paid by the number of students. I have to keep the class updated and don’t get paid but I am so well compensated for the class I don’t mind. I can’t make over $24k/year working for a entity that is part of our retirement plan or I lose my pension. I looked at teaching outside of the system but most colleges pay terrible and not worth my time.

I only get paid for time when I am in the classroom with students, plus one hour of planning time a week and two staff meetings a year. Ironically, all the stuff I don’t appreciate about my job is unpaid. (Record keeping, evaluations, parent contacts, process training, dismissal duties) so I try to keep it to a minimum.

i get my kids back tomorrow!

CL, I had to use a similar system and was supposed to post homework assignments. And I did, handwritten on the board. Then I took a picture with my phone and added it to the electronic system! I actually got awarded a Target gift card for having my assignments posted!

I wanted to continue to be able to say: your homework is posted on the white board. "My dad was at work so I couldn't check on his smart phone" was not an excuse I would entertain. And yes, many of my families only had a smart phone, no computer or tablet, and it was usually with the working parent.

Oh mschrisgo2, I love you! I don’t know why I didn’t think of that, but you have just saved me so much typing and time!

Last year when we used to brainstorm together, I would take a picture of the board after classincase we needed to come back to ideas, so I don’t know why I didn’t think of it! Too busy being grumpy probably.

Tuesday is my shortest day.

went well. So much paperwork, and the ceiling in my classroom is leaking, but still, after a day with my kids I checked my blood pressure and it was the lowest it’s been in months. (By 7 points on the top and more than 10 on the bottom). Came downstairs and told the building manager about the leak and got a spare trash can, and my returned coworker said “and yet, you’re smiling!” To which I replied “i’m happy to be home.”

Made dinner. Spent my evening on class organization stuff. (And dishes and chores)

wednesday is my long day, and I start yoga this morning.

Well, I wouldn’t exactly call today “easing in” but it has been a good day, and I feel good about it.

regular morning routine with chores, breakfast, packing lunch, plus did yoga with dh, showered, and started a load of laundry.

drove in to work (stopped for gas and dropped trash) taught 9:30 to 3:30 with a 45 minute lunch break that was mostly spent on paperwork, clean up, set up, and orienting my classroom helper.

drove home, snack, filed papers, put laundry in the dryer, picked up and racked a load of hay. Made and ate dinner with dh, evening chores, lesson plans, set up coffee. Thinking about doing a little more lesson plan work and/or unloading dishes before shower and bed (school night - 10:00 bedtime.)

So this morning, perhaps not surprisingly, I am tired and draggy and foggy. (I did not do dishes or ontinue lesson plans last night - I read)

i am having trouble making good decisions. Actually, that is not true - I am having trouble implementing good decisions.

i decided that dishes were more important than laundry, and yet I found myself sidetracked by the (less overwhelming) laundry. I know that I need to get out of the house in half an hour, but instead of getting things together and into the car, I was wandering around randomly moving things, reading part of my book, and getting stuck on what to wear to teach today.

so I decided to come here and try to nail down my thought process/behavior a little.

but now I am going to put things in the car.

M. Molly Backes on Twitter started a thread about "the impossible task." which could be something as simple as paying bills or scheduling a task. for a person with depression:

The Impossible Task is rarely actually difficult. It’s something you’ve done a thousand times. For this reason, it’s hard for outsiders to have sympathy. “Why don’t you just do it & get it over with?” “It would take you like 20 minutes & then it would be done.” OH, WE KNOW. If you’re grappling with an Impossible Task, you already have these conversations happening in your brain. Plus, there’s probably an even more helpful voice in your brain reminding you of what a screw up you are for not being able to do this seemingly very simple thing."
    "

I think she nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The Impossible Task is rarely actually difficult. It’s something you’ve done a thousand times. For this reason, it’s hard for outsiders to have sympathy. “Why don’t you just do it & get it over with?” “It would take you like 20 minutes & then it would be done.” OH, WE KNOW. If you’re grappling with an Impossible Task, you already have these conversations happening in your brain. Plus, there’s probably an even more helpful voice in your brain reminding you of what a screw up you are for not being able to do this seemingly very simple thing."
    Been there; done that. Hmmm....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Can someone start a thread about that impossible task! It deserves a lot of attention.

Thread Information