Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Plastic plastic everywhere, challenge

Maybe I'm a pessimist........but I feel like the horse is out of the barn. Everything is out of the barn. What we do will not matter, since the vast majority of humans don't give a shit. All we can do individually is try to live a life that takes care of the earth, as much as we are able to. (And give our deepest apologies to the earth). We are, no doubt, one of the most difficult countries to live simply in, without creating so much toxic trash.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Maybe I'm a pessimist........but I feel like the horse is out of the barn. Everything is out of the barn. What we do will not matter, since the vast majority of humans don't give a shit. All we can do individually is try to live a life that takes care of the earth, as much as we are able to. (And give our deepest apologies to the earth). We are, no doubt, one of the most difficult countries to live simply in, without creating so much toxic trash.
    Given the choices, I’ll take my challenges here and beg for forgiveness in the afterlife.

I totally agree Cathy. I do what I can in my own life. I used cloth diapers for my kids and now use cloth potty pads for the dogs unless we travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Happy to report that the Aldi nearest me has finally started offering some produce items such as bananas and apples loose in bins so you can buy what you want without plastic.

I really disliked the plastic wrapped bananas as they always seemed to have fruit flies when I got them home and opened the plastic up.
    I actually take and use my own homemade gauze or netted-type bags for produce at the store for loose produce - peppers, broccoli, green beans, lettuce, etc.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

You have a choice. Sit and mope and cry 'woe is me' + 'woe is the world'
    OR
    take steps within your understanding to learn and make changes where possible. I have lived long enough to see many positive changes when the climate of thought has reached the tipping point to modify behaviour and the law.

Conscious raising is key to making positive change. Be the change that you want to see.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Maybe I'm a pessimist........but I feel like the horse is out of the barn.
    I agree. But if the U.S. is the spearhead, it's a long long spear. While other developed countries are trying to react to the crisis and too many Americans believe it's a hoax or God's will or that it's inevitable and we should relax and enjoy it, there are billions of people on earth who aspire to the lifestyles lived in developed countries and aren't particularly happy that they're getting to the party just in time to clean up after the other revelers. It's a matter of political will and, by the time the symptoms of pollution and global warming are obviously harmfully evident, it will be too late to do anything but watch.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Some of the cafes around here are using pieces of hay, just regular hay straw, as straws. Straws made of straw.

Plastic bags are not allowed here, and lids for cups are available only on request.

The grocery stores are offering very inexpensive reusable, washable, non-plastic produce bags - around .50 a piece. They seem to be becoming very popular.

I've been using these for quite a few years for produce. And have been using cloth grocery bags for about 30 years.

earthwise produce bags.jpg

When I go to the grocery store, I ask for paper bags. It takes the bagger more effort, so I always explain that I take them to the food bank because they need the bags and have to buy them.

last time I was there, the bagger said “pretty soon everybody is going to have to buy them. They want to pass a law against free bags!” She sounded very indignant. She was also trapped where I could talk to her due to her job, so out of respect for her inability to walk away, I just gave her a cheerful “i’m good with that.”

San Francisco has that. I am fine with that too.

Thread Information