Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Plastic plastic everywhere, challenge

I've gone off plastic from the example of people who are nonegotiable about it. First was the book No Impact Man. Then a friend who drinks water anywhere only out of a washed-out food bottle, and one who in a nice way refused a drink of water at a celebration, explaining when asked that it was because it came from a plastic jug. People who don't think twice about doing it when it's hard. Last winter in Santa Fe, where I live, a woman opened a store called the Soap Refill Station, which is about more than soap and mainly about using everything that needs a container in glass, which you can buy from her or, like me, bring your own glass jars. Now I don't have to buy any of these in plastic: shampoo, dish soap, laundry soap, hand soap, and she sells other things made of bamboo: (toothbrush, dish (tiny broom style) scrubber, bottle brush. I several months ago a friend told me he doesn't use toothpaste or powder for his teeth, just a toothbrush ten times in each tooth. He's beendoing it 10 years with no cavities. So no more of all that for me and my teeth actually feel cleaner. IF I'm buying a food or supplement thing, if there's a choice of buying it in a glass or plastic jar, I get the glass one. So bit by bit I chip away at it. Sometimes I think, how would I explain it to a fish if I got something in plastic, and how would I feel about all this if I were a fish myself.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

larknm - I love the idea of taking my jars and filling them. There used to be a small "natural" store in the area many, many years ago that I could do that, but it has long closed. And I read the same thing about brushing teeth in the Tightwad Gazette years ago as well. Another of Amy D's experiments. lol
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Thread Information