Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Plastic plastic everywhere, challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Laundry detergent - got the natural stuff in a big plastic jug.
    Seventh Generation offers some of its laundry detergent in cardboard containers. Unfortunately, the containers still need a plastic liner so the package does not disintegrate, and, therefore, it's not completely biodegradable, but it's still less plastic than the usual jug.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Just finished watching the Plastic Plague segment on 60 Minutes. SO disheartening. I was born in 1952, and plastics were just being mass-produced then. And now look at us! In less than 70 years plastics are enmeshed in our days, and are spoiling so much. They showed those albatrosses on Midway--an uninhabited atoll in the middle of the Pacific--who die with bottle caps in their guts.

So discouraging.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Just finished watching the Plastic Plague segment on 60 Minutes. SO disheartening. I was born in 1952, and plastics were just being mass-produced then. And now look at us! In less than 70 years plastics are enmeshed in our days, and are spoiling so much. They showed those albatrosses on Midway--an uninhabited atoll in the middle of the Pacific--who die with bottle caps in their guts.

So discouraging.
    I saw that last night too. I do agree with the idea that a clean-up of plastic in the ocean is necessary, but it has to be coupled with the drastic reduction of single-use plastic. As they said, if the bathtub is overflowing then you have to turn off the spigot before you start mopping up the excess water.
    Isn't there an effort to make biodegradable plastic from corn or another substance? I don't recall the details but it seemed promising.

Saw that show yesterday too. Unbelievable...like so many things, it seems to start with the manufacturers desire for profits and government policy. As long as they keep pumping it out, the majority of humans will keep buying it. I bet statistically that the majority of humans could care less about pollution.

Statistically, the majority if humans are too busy worrying about how they will make it through the week (day even) to think about pollution. So, yeah.

Laundry detergent used to come in cardboard boxes with no plastic lining. I recorded that show last night to watch today. I have always been concerned with the planet.

For anyone worried about laundry packaging, I urge you to do what we do and make our own laundry detergent. Google the Duggars laundry detergent recipe. Borax and washing soda come in cardboard boxes and you use those boxes very slowly. Soap is the other ingredient, and comes wrapped in paper.
    The easiest way to avoid plastic detergent bottles is to make your own.

Too lazy to do that.

Recently I was buying something at CVS. The clerk stuffed the item into a bag before I could stop him. I said, "I don't need the bag," removed the item, and gave him the bag. He then took the bag and threw it in the trash.

At work, I always use a single paper towel to dry my hands. The other day I was observing the sandwich man at the deli counter in the company cafeteria. He would make a sandwich, cut it in half, wipe the blade of the knife once with a paper towel, and throw the paper towel into the trash. The used paper towels were spilling out of a 30-gallon container behind him.

Individual efforts to save the environment will not work. I follow them only out of longstanding habit.

Only legislative action will save us, if we can still be saved. Slap a $1.00 per bottle deposit on plastic bottles and you won't see too many of them lying by the roadside.

But of course, the right would shriek in protest if we tried to do that, because freedum or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    For anyone worried about laundry packaging, I urge you to do what we do and make our own laundry detergent. Google the Duggars laundry detergent recipe. Borax and washing soda come in cardboard boxes and you use those boxes very slowly. Soap is the other ingredient, and comes wrapped in paper.
    The easiest way to avoid plastic detergent bottles is to make your own.
    I used to do this years ago. Worked very well. I may just make up a batch after the holidays. Thanks for the reminder!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information