Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Plastic plastic everywhere, challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Statistically, the majority if humans are too busy worrying about how they will make it through the week (day even) to think about pollution. So, yeah.
    Off-topic.

Chicken lady,
    I finally realized that years ago. There's a majority of people who only care about what's happening in their own household or neighborhood, and will never put any time or energy into any of the larger issues. I think liberals fall into the trap of trying to persuade these people with data, when in fact it's just a matter of how these people want to live their lives.
    I used to think that if we didn't have a culture of consuming entertainment like sports, celebrities or reality TV, than people would finally pick up a book to educate themselves on serious topics; however, it's my opinion that in our modern history maybe only 25% of people were/are really socially involved. (e.g., how many colonists in the early U.S. cared about whether we had an independent nation or stayed as British subjects, or look at the relatively low voting percentage during the Great Depression. What does it take to get people motivated if even these two monumental events were met with, Eh, it will work itself out and in the meantime I'll just concentrate on me and mine.)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Too lazy to do that.
    Not directing this at anyone specifically, but I think this sentiment has a lot to do with the situation. It's easier to grab a single plastic bottle of water than to refill a reusable one. Have seen at least two article recently (sorry, can't remember where I saw them for linking purposes), that say we have 12 years to turn the pollution situation around or there will be no turning around.
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Anon.

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Off-topic.

Chicken lady,
    I finally realized that years ago. There's a majority of people who only care about what's happening in their own household or neighborhood, and will never put any time or energy into any of the larger issues. I think liberals fall into the trap of trying to persuade these people with data, when in fact it's just a matter of how these people want to live their lives.
    I used to think that if we didn't have a culture of consuming entertainment like sports, celebrities or reality TV, than people would finally pick up a book to educate themselves on serious topics; however, it's my opinion that in our modern history maybe only 25% of people were/are really socially involved. (e.g., how many colonists in the early U.S. cared about whether we had an independent nation or stayed as British subjects, or look at the relatively low voting percentage during the Great Depression. What does it take to get people motivated if even these two monumental events were met with, Eh, it will work itself out and in the meantime I'll just concentrate on me and mine.)
    I agree with you on this point.

However, with regard to Chicken Lady's post, I think she was saying that it's fine for us liberals to preach at people (I'll speak for myself), but plastic bottles are way down on the priority list for people who are stressed out from everyday life. So it's not a matter of not caring because you don't care--it's a matter of being able to get to a quality of life where you can think about these more global issues. Kind of like Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. First you're going to make sure you have a roof over your head and food on the table. Then you'll worry about the albatrosses on Midway.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I never thought of curbing pollution or recycling as a liberal way of thought but that's an interesting way to look at it I guess. In my mind, it is about "respect" for our earth and each other. I think a lot of people whether lower income or not have not been raised with that consciousness. You can be as poor as dirt and still have a bit of pride/respect in how you carry on.

I recycle, never buy bottled water and carry my own bag into the grocery store. I remember when all the laundry soap was powdered so it came in boxes. I watched the 60 minutes about all the plastic and it was disgusting. California charges you per bag and I am sure it has cut down on the bags. I donít know why we canít go back to all paper bags. Something needs to be done at the national level in all countries to really affect change.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I never thought of curbing pollution or recycling as a liberal way of thought but that's an interesting way to look at it I guess. In my mind, it is about "respect" for our earth and each other. I think a lot of people whether lower income or not have not been raised with that consciousness. You can be as poor as dirt and still have a bit of pride/respect in how you carry on.
    Yeah, I'm just saying that it's easier to be concerned about global issues when your basic needs are cared for. I think that's why "liberals" have earned the moniker "liberal elites"--many tend to be comfortable, economically-speaking.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I actually think all that is a lot further from the truth than whether one is raised to care about the environment or not, I actually think that's much of it. So get kids to nature centers! Those programs might actually work, although one day is not enough. Now one may care and make a lot of compromises out of exhaustion or necessity (see no alternative to driving etc.) but that's kind of different (still damaging to the world but derives out of having to live in this society not not caring) as it's hard to live an environmentally responsible life in this society. Who isn't exhausted and overwhelmed btw, that's not a poor people thing, although multi-millionaries may not struggle with it.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Catherine, I totally agree. Thankfully I am not exhausted or overwhelmed APN. I don’t think I would ever describe my life that way. There was a time when I had to give up some leisure activities that I liked because I was busy raising kids and going to college. But life is always about making choices.

Catherine was correct. I was speaking globally. When this bottle of water means that my child isnít going to die of dysentery, sea turtles are not going to cross my mind.

Good points.
    I was thinking also of my former co-worker. We worked in an office with the usual coffee, water cooler, and Styrofoam cups set-up. He liked to go to the water cooler several times a day and use a new Styrofoam cup each time. I said something to him once or twice, light-heartedly, about buying his own cup to re-use. His answer was, Nah, I like to do this to tick off the liberals. Which I think meant me since I was the most liberal in the office and the only one who said anything.
    So that was a financially comfortable engineer who had associated the slightest environmental effort as being a liberal which he certainly was not and did not want to be associated with. Okay then.