Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Plastic plastic everywhere, challenge

Ohio has drive through liquor stores. Drive up, order, pay, and drive away with your beer. Just like McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Ohio has drive through liquor stores. Drive up, order, pay, and drive away with your beer. Just like McDonalds.
    I can attest to that! But we're not the only state that allows you to drive into the building, fill your car with beer and drive away, I believe we're one of about 30 states which allow it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Our Canadian friends were astounded by such an arrangement. 😄

I am always amused and amazed how threads evolve. Could you ever have imagined that a thread talking about plastics has evolved into a thread about access to alcohol. It does make this site interesting and informative.
    Have to agree with Tammy. Years ago when we were taking our kids camping in NY state, we were surprised by the amount and variety of alcohol available in local corner stores in small towns when we shopped for our daily supplies.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I am always amused and amazed how threads evolve. Could you ever have imagined that a thread talking about plastics has evolved into a thread about access to alcohol. It does make this site interesting and informative.
    Right? I clicked on this thread to see what else I could learn. Too funny!

Since we opened the door beyond plastics, last night I flew home from PA where I was visiting my mom. (Now i know flying is about the most environmentally unfriendly thing most people personally do, but I'm trying to mitigate that as best I can by minding the little things.) I didn't want a plastic cup. The flight attendant wouldn't give me a full can of tomato juice because she was limited, fine, but she also wouldn't pour a serving into my own travel mug "because then you could claim we put something poisonous in it". Really? That's a big worry for me, thank goodness you addressed it, but couldn't I tamper with the cup you give me just as well as I could poison myself with my own cup? I finally declined the beverage entirely, and she gave me a bag of pretzels and a napkin. When I said I didn't need the napkin, she literally said, "That's just the way we do it, we've always done it that way" and refused to take the napkin back. Ok, Boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Since we opened the door beyond plastics, last night I flew home from PA where I was visiting my mom. (Now i know flying is about the most environmentally unfriendly thing most people personally do, but I'm trying to mitigate that as best I can by minding the little things.) I didn't want a plastic cup. The flight attendant wouldn't give me a full can of tomato juice because she was limited, fine, but she also wouldn't pour a serving into my own travel mug "because then you could claim we put something poisonous in it". Really? That's a big worry for me, thank goodness you addressed it, but couldn't I tamper with the cup you give me just as well as I could poison myself with my own cup? I finally declined the beverage entirely, and she gave me a bag of pretzels and a napkin. When I said I didn't need the napkin, she literally said, "That's just the way we do it, we've always done it that way" and refused to take the napkin back. Ok, Boomer.
    I grapple with my conscience a lot when I fly.. and yes, there is a ton of plastic waste on planes. The only way you could get around the plastic cups frugally and without plastic is to bring your own bottle and fill it up if you can find a filtered water fountain in the airport after you get through TSA. (Good luck with that). I have to admit that I do purchase water to carry on, but some places sell boxed water, so that's better than plastic bottles at least.

As far as napkins go, I think they're trying to keep the little tray tables from getting dirty.

On one of my recent flights, and not a big one--a puddle jumper to the NYC area--the pilot actually announced how much fuel it was going to take to get us there. It was like seeing the calories you get on menus these days--instant guilt. Then when I went to Japan, all I could think of was "If it takes almost 3,000 gallons of fuel to go 500 miles, how much does it take to go 6000 miles??? (And the answer...36,000 freakin' gallons!!).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    State liquor stores are all about the state sucking up all the profits of liquor.

When I cross the border into Iowa From Missouri I can hear the giant Slurpee sucking sounds.
    DH says I am wrong about Iowa, they got rid of state liquor stores decades ago.

When we take a cruise we carry around travel mugs for water. The amount of plastic that gets thrown away is incredible. If you buy a soft drink package they give you one to keep refilling.

[QUOTE=catherine;340239

As far as napkins go, I think they're trying to keep the little tray tables from getting dirty.

On one of my recent flights, and not a big one--a puddle jumper to the NYC area--the pilot actually announced how much fuel it was going to take to get us there. It was like seeing the calories you get on menus these days--instant guilt. Then when I went to Japan, all I could think of was "If it takes almost 3,000 gallons of fuel to go 500 miles, how much does it take to go 6000 miles??? (And the answer...36,000 freakin' gallons!!).[/QUOTE]

Well I did find this, so maybe we're not doing so bad as we think:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/tr...uestion192.htm

A plane like a Boeing 747 uses approximately 1 gallon of fuel (about 4 liters) every second. Over the course of a 10-hour flight, it might burn 36,000 gallons (150,000 liters). According to Boeing's Web site, the 747 burns approximately 5 gallons of fuel per mile (12 liters per kilometer).

This sounds like a tremendously poor miles-per-gallon rating! But consider that a 747 can carry as many as 568 people. Let's call it 500 people to take into account the fact that not all seats on most flights are occupied. A 747 is transporting 500 people 1 mile using 5 gallons of fuel. That means the plane is burning 0.01 gallons per person per mile. In other words, the plane is getting 100 miles per gallon per person! The typical car gets about 25 miles per gallon, so the 747 is much better than a car carrying one person, and compares favorably even if there are four people in the car. Not bad when you consider that the 747 is flying at 550 miles per hour (900 km/h)!

Of course it's still nowhere near as fuel efficient as staying home!

- and yes, keeping those little trays clean, but I declined the beverage ... how much cleaner is a napkin going to make a bag of pretzels???

Thread Information