Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Plastic plastic everywhere, challenge

There used to be a yearly "giving tree" here where you could buy small gifts for adults, so I chose to do that. I happened to walk by one of those kiddie Christmas giveaways one year, and it was the very definition of bedlam. I hope most of them are better managed. Why can't charities just make gifts available for parents to shop among, and allow for some dignity?

I buy books for the toy drives myself.

During this pandemic, job issues, being at home so much, etc., I've come to realize that I have traded one "demon" for another - the resultant "demon" being bottled seltzer. I've only been buying about a case every 2-3 weeks, but that is still way more plastic than we've had to recycle in a long time. So, I am jumping back on this challenge. We have a filtered water pitcher in the fridge and I found one of those infusion bottles (you can put pieces of fruit or teas or whatever in a cage and insert the whole thing in the bottle with water). I'm going to start trying different seasonal fruits and veggies, and see what I like.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    During this pandemic, job issues, being at home so much, etc., I've come to realize that I have traded one "demon" for another - the resultant "demon" being bottled seltzer. I've only been buying about a case every 2-3 weeks, but that is still way more plastic than we've had to recycle in a long time. So, I am jumping back on this challenge. We have a filtered water pitcher in the fridge and I found one of those infusion bottles (you can put pieces of fruit or teas or whatever in a cage and insert the whole thing in the bottle with water). I'm going to start trying different seasonal fruits and veggies, and see what I like.
    Please post your successes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Please post your successes!!!
    I will! It may take a bit though, as I've only gotten through 1 experiment so far - dried apples. I let the bottle sit overnight in the fridge and tasted this morning. Not bad! More flavor than I expected. On to the next - LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Happystuff: if you ever core pineapples, the core is good for infusing. It has the right flavor but is too tough to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Happystuff: if you ever core pineapples, the core is good for infusing. It has the right flavor but is too tough to eat.
    Thanks! I haven't bought a fresh pineapple in a while; I just may get one to try.

Strawberries, lemon lime, watermelon, blackberries........yum!

We can no longer recycle plastic water type bottles here even if they are #1 or #2. I'm glad we're not accustomed to those!

Thanks, Gardnr! Actually, had some dried strawberries yesterday - yum! Actually added more flavor to the water than I thought they would. Making an Asian Cucumber Salad today, so may put a few pieces of cucumber in next.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I will! It may take a bit though, as I've only gotten through 1 experiment so far - dried apples. I let the bottle sit overnight in the fridge and tasted this morning. Not bad! More flavor than I expected. On to the next - LOL.
    Have now done dried apples, dried strawberries and fresh blueberries. The apples had a very light - almost imperceptible flavor. The strawberries were a bit stronger. The fresh blueberries had no flavor, but I think that is because I did not pierce the skins. I have since done that and will see if there is any change.

This isn't going as well has I had hoped, but I have a lot of fruits and veggies left to try. And I am, at least, getting enough water every day. LOL

Thread Information