Thread: Freedom! Update #4!

Freedom! Update #4!

Hey all, decided to drop in a couple months early for my yearly update, as next couple months is unpredictable and we have a break from babysitting this week. It has been a little over a year since we moved to our new location. I wondered, before we moved, if we were making the right decision. The babysitting has worked out very well with our first grandchild. She is a treasure and SO fun to be with! It has been a huge help to our daughter and her husband to be on call and available. Another thing that confirmed it was the right decision, is that my daughter recently came down with cancer. So we have been able to help after recovery from major surgery, and next month, radiation therapy. We are all hoping for the best!

I can tell just because of what edible plants are in season, so know how long it has been by that! My big hobby here that I have had more time and opportunity to devote to, is learning about wild edibles. I so enjoy learning to identify the local plants here!

Over the past year, have continued to work on downsizing. Not something I enjoy, but work on a little at a time. Have had a couple of garage sales; i enjoy doing those and it does reward for decluttering! I am hoping in another year, to have the house completely purged of redundant, not worth saving stuff. My plan is, to be able to easily fit in a 1500 square foot house if/when we move again. Not exactly a tiny house, but moving that direction! Will make the next move that much easier, too.

Basic housing costs here compared to our old city location, are about $2,000 a year less. For that, we get a house that is worth approximately the same as our old place, but is larger, brand new, and has a two car garage instead of a one car garage. The house sits on 1/4 acre of land, so there is room for a little hobby gardening. We could also add on a fourth bedroom if we wanted to.

Another hobby I have been working on, is square foot gardening. Slowly figuring out how we want to do it, and how to do it. It is a learning experience.

Traveling: we have mostly done local trips to beautiful parks in the area. Lots of places within an hour of our home. We will travel farther when we get around to it. We have slowly been getting to know people in our own neighborhood. If I just walk around, other people are often out walking so I meet them and we chat.
    It takes a while to really get settled in a new location. So we haven't felt the urge to travel too far away yet. Later...

What I am thrilled about here, is that there are two great farmer's markets nearby, with very good deals on produce. Since December of last year, I have moved towards a whole foods plant-based diet, and have lost 40 pounds thus far. My desire for years, has been to lose 50 pounds, and I am almost there! I also have been able to increase my exercise level, due to the proximity of nature trails for walking and biking. I feel like a new woman!

Of course, one "bad" thing about losing the weight, is that I have had to buy a whole new wardrobe! So that has been a huge hit on the clothing part of the budget! I did locate a nearby thrift store that helps support a hospice center. I had dropped off a carload of stuff to donate. Bought a shirt for $4. But I sure miss the Salvation Army in my old location! It takes time to figure out where all the good locations to shop are, in a new location.

I also discovered a day old bread drop off, the bread is free! And this is name brand bread! A huge variety of different kinds of good bread, including whole wheat! It is run by some kind of a food rescue organization. So all in all, I am relieved that our food costs seem to be about the same as they were in our old location, if not a little bit less. I have also learned where the international grocers are located, in the city that is 50 minutes away from us.

I have some creative projects I intend to work on at home this next year, and also continue to study in my areas of interest. Our home is very relaxing, quiet, peaceful, and safe. I look out the back windows and often see deer in our back yard, including young fawns. The insects, tree frogs, owls and other birds sing at night. It feels like living next to a jungle.

We have had several overnight visitors, old friends and family from various parts of the country. It seems like every time we move, they all want to come see our new location! So that along with everything else, has kept us busy but not too busy, usually. Well, will write more comments later...this computer is dying and my husband wants me to get off of it so he can replace it with the new one that got delivered today...wow they are way cheaper than the last time we bought one!

Packratona!
    Last edited by Packratona!; 8-17-18 at 7:10pm.

Great update. What part if the country did you move from, and to?

and best wishes for your daughter’s recovery.

As a cancer survivor myself, I send best wishes for quick and complete recovery to you daughter.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Good to hear...I wish we could be closer to first grandchildren (twins). So true that it takes a while to get to know a new place. Familiar faces are comforting if and when they finally happen.

Thanks for the update. So sorry about your DD, but sounds like she's being aggressively treated, which is great. What a blessing that you are there to help with childcare.

Congratulations on (almost) meeting your weight loss goal! Certainly not an easy endeavor!

Your new home sounds very peaceful. Keep us posted!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thanks for the update.

For 13 years, I have nearly always gone for a walk with a grandchild when we are together for a day, all-weather, suitably dressed. Once the child is old enough to ride, we usually go bicycling instead, weather permitting. 1:1, just the two of us and the world around us. I marvel at their curiosity and how quickly they learn.

Nothing we do for our young is ever completely wasted.

Yppej
    What a wonderful life of exploration rather than stagnation Packratona.

Glad things are going well and congratulations on the weight loss! Best wishes for a smooth recovery for your daughter.

I hope things go well for your daughter. It is great that you are close enough to help.

Thread Information