Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Give me your up cycling ideas

Give me your up cycling ideas

Yes, I can search the Internet, but I am not looking fir all those cute ideas that turn recyclable materials into children’s craft projects that will be thrown away because they are too much trouble to disassemble.

parameters - cannot use the following items in ways that would make it more difficult to recycle them:
    glass bottles or jars
    Type 1 or 2 plastic bottles or jugs
    aluminum cans
    metal cans
    aseptic cartons (ie juice box)
    office paper
    paper bags
    envelopes
    cereal boxes
    magazines
    newspaper
    cardboard
    yarn or fabric longer than your arm/larger than your hand
    plastic bags

also cannot use objects that are still useful for their original purpose (example: a plastic fork can be washed and reused as a plastic fork. There is no reason to use it as a plant label holder unless you REALLY need a plant label holder, or it is broken.)

it is ok to use low low level recyclables to create something useful that can be recycled later.

example - I found a pattern to turn a toilet paper tube into a gift box decorated with water soluable glue and colored paper scraps

Yes, this is hard. So, thanks!

Cereal boxes can be cut on the diagonal to make magazine holders. Or holders for loose papers, appliance manuals that you want to keep handy in the kitchen, etc.

Plastic bags can be crocheted into rugs, or sleeping mats for the homeless.

Office paper, if it is printed on one side only, can be cut up for scrap paper for taking notes/making lists.

Paper bags. First, you keep small children out of your hair by having them draw/paint on the bags. Then you open a bag and place it on the floor for the cat to hide in. When the cat has shredded the bag sufficiently, put the scraps on the compost pile.

Good ideas,
    Asceptic boxes make bird feeders, have the kids find their own sticks and spend almost nothing
    lots of art possibilities for yarn and fabric! I like sensory collages with youngers and a similar thing with older students but I have them draw out their design before adding the fabric and yarn
    glass bottles and jars: paint and put tea lights inside, wrap with twine for putting on desk, of course storing about anything small like beads, buttons, etc. Growing herbs and giving as gifts. making layered hot cocoa or bean soups and giving as gifts. If you don't have lids you can put a small piece of plastic or tin foil and cover with that fabric you have. and always paint and water containers, much sturdier than a plastic cup

Are you thinking about doing the projects yourself with kids or donating the items? If you want to donate I would look for an art teacher or a crafty teacher, also I am sure afterschool programs would love this stuff. otherwise include some ideas with the donation for another teacher and they are more likely to take them.

Oh more! I have decorated book marks by cutting the corner off of envelopes, the kids ( or adults) can put them on the corner of the page they are reading.

newspaper: I have done some great science where you roll up newspaper, tape it, and use it to see if you can build a chair that someone can sit in. Also a tower that can hold a raw egg! that is outside or use a ball instead.

Not exactly an "upcycle," but I use the plastic clamshells my DH still buys produce in at times to store small to medium sewing projects (prepped, not finished yet) and needlework kits. Keeps the dust off and I can see at a glance what they are. ETA: our recycling service recently quit accepting them.
    Last edited by KayLR; 8-17-18 at 1:04pm. Reason: additional thought
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I am not understanding why you are looking to upcycle these things? Are you looking for school projects for the kids you teach? The example you give of the toilet paper tube gift box sounds like something that just extends the problem of too much stuff.

But my husband does plan seeds in toilet paper tubes, upended and filled with soil, and they work very well and biodegrade into the garden.

I am doing a school club this year that is focused on resource use, waste reduction, and environmental impact relating to our school.

along with doing waste audits and attempting to find better solutions for our resource use (for example - how can we encourage students to use refillable water bottles instead of the paper cups the school buys and supplies next to the water cooler) we are also trying to divert our waste stream (how can we encourage students who bring a drink in a single use package to recycle that package?) and cut our disposal costs.

we will also have games, field trips, challenges (zero waste lunch day) and art projects.

if you are nine, making your parent a small Christmas gift and packing it in a toilet paper tube box decorated with scraps of pre-used paper is a great project, and the box can still be tossed in the recycling later. It is a free (except for a little glue) project that avoids wrapping paper purchase/use

the problem with yarn or twine on bottles and jars is that it renders the glass non-recyclable, so that would be one we would skip - great if you need a vase, but i’m Looking more for “how can we use these resources longer before recycling or throwing away, and can we use “trash” to avoid buying something new.

we planted seeds in potting soil in toilet paper tubes last year, but the tubes grew mold. Does your husband have thoughts on that I could use?

Uses for clamshells and other clear type one boxes are good because those can’t be recycled here.

juice boxes recycle, but the straws have to be removed. I am currently wondering if you could make coasters from the straws....

We did not have any mold issues--I wonder if you are in a hot and muggy climate--maybe that is why they molded?

We did not have any mold issues--I wonder if you are in a hot and muggy climate--maybe that is why they molded?
    I use the clamshells in the window with the little peat things that you put in water and they become a planting medium. I use the clamshells like a greenhouse.

Sorry, I wasn't clear--the clear clamshells, I mean!

Hot and humid and who knows what the kids had on their fingers.

Thread Information