Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Over-crowded rats behave like humans

I went to a public school and 40 kids in a class. There were no behavior problems. I loved school. But if I had gotten into trouble at school it would have been big trouble at home. I raised my kids the same way. You are right that no disabled children were in regular classes. Kids with certain disabilities do take up more of the teachers time.

People I know who went to catholic school talk about the slapping of hands with rulers, the strict and angry nuns, the forced group-think, etc.

Maybe I’m projecting my own hatred of those types of environments onto those who were in that circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    People I know who went to catholic school talk about the slapping of hands with rulers, the strict and angry nuns, the forced group-think, etc.

Maybe I’m projecting my own hatred of those types of environments onto those who were in that circumstance.
    Some nuns were angry, others were kind. I do not regret my Catholic school education. Not at all. It's true that the Catholic school environment doesn't work for everyone, but it was fine for me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post

My mother was so influenced by her Catholic education that she refused to wear black shoes--they reminded her of being scolded and staring down at nuns' feet. Her sister led an insurrection when one attempted to smack her with a ruler; all the siblings left and never went back. My grandmother, on the other hand, worshiped the nuns she was raised by.

My public grade school was a placid place by comparison; as far as I know there were no corporal punishments handed out, and very little disturbance in the force, so to speak. We did line up before lunch and say prayers that varied widely--including Hebrew prayers. No one complained.

I think of catholic school in the same vein as other totalitarian systems.

I’m reading “the righteous mind” by Jonathan haidt. It addresses how our reasoning is often informed by our emotions and intuition, and reason is our way of making those intuitions sound reasonable and data based.

Discussions on politics sex and religion are particularly prone to this concept.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    My mother was so influenced by her Catholic education that she refused to wear black shoes
    I was so influenced by my Catholic education that I wanted to be a nun.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I read a good book about a woman that became a nun in mother Teresa’s order. She left after 20 years. It was eye opening and mother Teresa was definitely fallible. For instance she was given too small shoes and instead of saying something she allowed her feet to be permanently damaged. She expected other nuns to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I was so influenced by my Catholic education that I wanted to be a nun.
    My closest childhood friend did become a nun for a time, then left the convent, married, and had children. Both paths her life took were equally incomprehensible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I read a good book about a woman that became a nun in mother Teresa’s order. She left after 20 years. It was eye opening and mother Teresa was definitely fallible. For instance she was given too small shoes and instead of saying something she allowed her feet to be permanently damaged. She expected other nuns to do the same.
    I understand Catholic Church bashing--they're an easy target, especially these days. But instead of focusing on Mother Teresa's shoes, why wouldn't you give her credit for every act of love and compassion she gave the poor in India? Of course she was fallible. Everyone is.

It seems that with religion one bad apple can brand the barrel. But you don't have to look hard to find faith-based people, Catholic or not, who make a lot of tremendous sacrifice to make the world a better place. Catholic-bashing is just as bad as saying all Muslims are terrorists.

I am not being an apologist for pedophile priests or a rigidly patriarchal church hierarchy, or sourpuss nuns. I am being an apologist for the body of Catholics, or born-agains, or Jews, or Muslims who actually walk the walk and inspire me and have my gratitude.

And I'm not even Catholic (anymore). But I still gain tremendous insight and wisdom from Catholic writers, poets, and activists.

Thread Information