Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: menopause question

menopause question

Right before I had my breakdown my hot flashes got really bad. It was like a full body anxiety attack as well as the discomfort physically. As soon as i went on leave I called the DR and we started using some anxiety meds to manage it.

Well since then I have not had a period. My body feels like it is getting ready, I have some lower back ache and some of the tummy issues start mildly, and then pass. It has been probably 4 months now. It feels like I am just done, we will see if I go another 8 months. Somehow it makes me feel better to think that the breakdown was impactful enough to also be quickly done with periods. (so far they have been lighter and a little longer between, but still have had them).

Anyone just know they are done at some point?

Yppej
    I thought I was done after maybe 7 months, then started heavy bleeding and post-menopausal bleeding can be a sign of cancer. I went for a painful procedure where a hard metal pole with a camera attached was put up in my uterus. Everything was normal.

Now I really am officially menopausal (over a year). But the body may have a last gasp of attempted fertility in store for you yet, no way of knowing.

12 months from your last period is considered the sign that you are post-menopausal.

No, I didn't know it was all over till it was a year past. There was no sense of "knowing" in my body, and I still had some monthly cyclic symptoms (bloating, moodiness, etc.) during that final year.

I would say my actual menopause lasted about 2 years, starting with extremely heavy and irregular menstruation. After a year, give or take, periods became lighter and less frequent, till, yay! they never came back.

Throughout, I felt a heaviness and occasional mild cramping in my pelvis. I had some hot flashes.. What I also experienced was overheating - during menopause, when I got hot (through exercise or whatever) my body had trouble cooling itself down. Not a big deal, but annoying.

Sounds to me like you're on the tail end of it. Best of luck!

I believe I had maybe two periods several months apart before I was well and truly done.

I was done for 18 months, pronounces menopausal, then surprised again. Saw the GYN, blood work, tests, exam, no problems noted. He says it was probably a fluke, not to worry.

So I’m still wondering if if it’s all over or not ... I’ll probably believe it after 3-5 years of no periods at the rate I’ve been going.

So I’m still carrying a pad in my purse at all times. And I’m almost 57.

But I had an easy time of it. Probably 5% of the symptoms others talk about. I’ve been lucky.

Argh, more of unknowns!! I guess I am just over it! I feel a large part of my crappiness over the last 6 months (losing my temper, losing track of things I know how to do, having a breakdown) was hormonal changes. The 2 weeks leading up to my breakdown were constant anxiety hotflashes. Try telling that to male supervisors, especially since I really didn't understand what was going on. Even if I understood and told someone I could expect about as much support as any of us got with cramps or accidents or anything over the years.

Yes there was stress I could not control, and yes it would be rare if I could have succeeded, however I am still angry that my body and mind were so off. Now I have to just wait and carry pads for 10 years, hoping that it is not one of those hemorraging types I have had a few times. (I had to have extra pants at work)

The couple of years around menopause are known to be a tough time for medication management for mood disorders. Keep your appts and continue with necessary med adjustments. Once you get through this, research shows that mood disorders often settle down, sometimes better than they were since adolescence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    The couple of years around menopause are known to be a tough time for medication management for mood disorders. Keep your appts and continue with necessary med adjustments. Once you get through this, research shows that mood disorders often settle down, sometimes better than they were since adolescence.
    Thats what I was thinking. zG may come out on the other side of this with a easier-to-manage brain.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Thats what I was thinking. zG may come out on the other side of this with a easier-to-manage brain.
    Dear Goddess I hope so!

Thread Information