Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arnold, what were you thinking

while this in no way excuses bad choices, it is known that testosterone levels in both men and women increase a lot when they are in a position of power. I think this is partially why we see such a correlation between people of power and affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    Powerful men using their power to have sex with powerless women (really - household staff?) are misogynists, not philanderers or "boys will be boys".
    I don't condone his actions, but why would you think that she was a victim? Isn't it possible that she was a willing participant?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I see men of no power what so ever cheating on their spouses all the time - as do women who are in powerful position and non-power positions. So I don't think it's a power issue - just ordinary lust that a person (of great moral and character weakness IMHO) chooses to subcumb (sp?) to. As far as Arnolds career movie-wise, I don't think it'll impact it one way or another. I'm a HUGE fan of most of his sci-fi and war-type stuff and will continue to see his movies. His character flaws don't effect how I view him as an actor - although they would as a right-wing family-first politician.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I don't condone his actions, but why would you think that she was a victim? Isn't it possible that she was a willing participant?
    I read she was married and passed the child off as her husbands. In my eye's she cheated just as much as he did.

When I read the news it really sort of made me sick to my stomach. What embarrassment he has brought upon his family and himself. I don't think any of us are immune from temptation - hense we should not test the temptation - if that makes any sense. Especially if he was known to have these issues. Trust is so hard to regain once it is lost.

There are no illegitimate children only illegitimate adults!

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Because of the power imbalance. And since he was her employer, it sure could be on the job sexual harassment. It's possible that the Lord of the Manor and the hired domestic help were on equal social footing, that the woman didn't really need her job, and she was fully prepared to have a covert affair with someone who had married into one of the most powerful families in America and is a known "womanizer ', by which I read exploits vulnerable women, so they had a fully consensual torrid affair of love and/or lust. But I doubt it.
    Last edited by redfox; 5-19-11 at 1:43am.

It's certainly possible she wanted to cheat with him, there's a power imbalance, but no coercion is actually necessary to get someone to jump in your bed if you are a powerful, famous, rich, and attractive (to some) man. The very power you hold is itself attractive to some.

I don't really believe monogamy comes naturally to people over the long run anyway. And yes I think having power has something to do with the actual tendency to cheat. So it's unfortunate, and sadly predictable.

His character flaws don't effect how I view him as an actor - although they would as a right-wing family-first politician.
    Yea but really Arnold NEVER ran on that kind of platform, on social conservatism. He ran socially liberal.
    Trees don't grow on money

Arnold has always been incredibly charismatic. That is what made him what he is. He became a highly successful actor and couldn't act, and he became the governor of the most populace state in the country with absolutely zero political experience, all because of his charisma. His power stems from that charisma, not the other way around. It is not difficult for me to see why women might be attracted to him.

I don't think it is necessary to read anything into it beyond that.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Just another rich republican thinking rules and commitments don't apply to him.

Could it also be possible that the woman planned this whole scenario? After all, she is receiving child support and has retired at 50 with a nice, paid for house.

Thread Information