Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 150

Thread: Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

  1. #1
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    8,763

    Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

    My ladyfriend and I just started reading Total Money Makeover together. We also started the workbook.

    I am hoping it'll help me to make even more progress financially and to be more frugal (especially in the face of my damn junk food addiction!).

    Also, my ideal hope is that if she and I can get on the same page and do this program it could be something that bonds us together (though I am aware the opposite could happen!).
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  2. #2
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    My ladyfriend and I just started reading Total Money Makeover together. We also started the workbook.

    I am hoping it'll help me to make even more progress financially and to be more frugal (especially in the face of my damn junk food addiction!).

    Also, my ideal hope is that if she and I can get on the same page and do this program it could be something that bonds us together (though I am aware the opposite could happen!).
    I want to know how she is with Harlan. Does she like him?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    8,763
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I want to know how she is with Harlan. Does she like him?
    She likes Harlan. But she and I have very different schools of thought about raising dogs. I told her it is my way or the highway on that.
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  4. #4
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VT/NJ
    Posts
    8,356
    I love TMMM. I also love DR's podcasts. However, you should warned that DR has a very evangelical Christian orientation. If you can get past that, his financial approach is a lot of good common sense put into logical steps, and if you follow them, you should definitely have a much improved financial life.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    She likes Harlan. But she and I have very different schools of thought about raising dogs. I told her it is my way or the highway on that.
    Yay, a dog dad who places dog life over succulentlips and etc.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    8,763
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yay, a dog dad who places dog life over succulentlips and etc.
    I do not use corporal punishment on Harlan. No one else will either. Period. And I expect Harlan to be spoken to with compassion or a controlled stern tone during discipline.
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    8,763
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I love TMMM. I also love DR's podcasts. However, you should warned that DR has a very evangelical Christian orientation. If you can get past that, his financial approach is a lot of good common sense put into logical steps, and if you follow them, you should definitely have a much improved financial life.
    Yeah, the Xian stuff is a turn off. But his system seems to be fully applicable in the secular context.
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Yeah, the Xian stuff is a turn off. But his system seems to be fully applicable in the secular context.
    Why not go and take the class? We did and it was life changing.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,418
    First, ROTFL at this. Surprised that this will be the first student loan drone debt post.


    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I love TMMM. I also love DR's podcasts. However, you should warned that DR has a very evangelical Christian orientation. If you can get past that, his financial approach is a lot of good common sense put into logical steps, and if you follow them, you should definitely have a much improved financial life.
    The Christian part definitely turns me off (they only seem to meet at churches). If it weren't for D.R. was a friend of a late friend of mind, I am not sure I could stand to listen to him. I don't listen often, but if my schedule puts me in my vehicle, he is on, in between other things I listen to, when not in a music mood.
    I certainly don't say I follow him, as I do use a CC for online stuff. With one exception in a decade due to lost bill and hours, it is paid off in full every month.
    But I would LOVE to find out from him, who he uses as a processor as he accepts debit cards for purchases, and I have never found a debit card only transaction company.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    5,416
    Yes he has good practical advice. We don’t use physical punishment with our dogs either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •