Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I fear he feels he is set.
    Not really. Maybe for a little while, but once we sell the house, he has to leave.
    And the guy isn't all that "set"--he has some cognitive issues, no job skills, a part time minimum wage seasonal job, a very limited amount of money from the sale off the house, and virtually no Social Security credits at 55.

If I were him, I wouldn't feel "set" at all. Hopefully he can get some affordable housing somewhere, or if he were truly smart, he'd move to Florida and get a very inexpensive condo or mobile home (while he still has a few bucks left) near a golf course where he can continue to work in his field. But he's not truly smart.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

How can someone have no SS credits at that age? From working under the table?

Well, he has few. He worked maybe 10 years in a full-time job total, and most were minimum-wage retail jobs. He spent a number of years not working at all, supported by his mother, and then he moved into seasonal minimum-wage jobs and collected unemployment during the winters. So whatever the minimum benefit for SS will be for him, that's what he'll probably get--I think it's about $10k a year. Not sure who can live on that. He'll need to keep working at these low-wage jobs. Plus he's fussy and spoiled. He has a serious rude awakening coming.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The sheriffs will probably be dragging him out of your house once it sells. He definitely needs low income housing but can’t probably get it while he has money and since he is not a planner there are often lengthy waiting lists. Ugh!