Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

I interpreted ANM as saying that his employment options were equal reguardless of location. If that was incorrect, then clearly my conclusion is also.

I think Gardnr has it right. In the current location, he has an actual job. If one partner is unemployed, does it make sense for the other partner to become unemployed so the first partner could have better prospects? What if both end up unemployed?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I think Gardnr has it right. In the current location, he has an actual job. If one partner is unemployed, does it make sense for the other partner to become unemployed so the first partner could have better prospects? What if both end up unemployed?
    Yeah, in that case, ANM should just broadcast her resume over the geographic areas she's interested and if she gets the job (not an interview), then she and BF have a serious decision to make. That's only if BF is agreeable to potentially relocating.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Well he is not willing to relocate. He may like his job, have elderly parents etc and maybe his company is stable which can’t be said about all companies. If AMN didn’t have her boyfriend then she may be open to moving. I have had to move for jobs when I was my ex. He could easily find work but I was in a small specialized field. When my current husband got laid off at 52 he couldn’t find a engineering job locally. Lots of jobs in Dallas and other big cities. In the end we didn’t want to move again so he took a big reduction in his pension to collect it 7 years early. It was certainly not the best choice financially but emotionally it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Something you also want from life is to stay in the city you are in. If you were willing to move to other cities and states you'd have many, many more opportunities. I have moved across the country for jobs, which is a big reason I currently have a job.

When I finished graduate school I moved from Alabama to Arizona for a job. It was somewhat outside my field of study and paid $34k. But I was literally one of a small handful of people in my very large MLIS program to get a job at all. And I was actually hired two months before graduation.

Here are the reasons that my former classmates in the Alabama MLIS program could not get jobs:
    1. They wanted to stay in Alabama (or the surrounding states) to "be close to home."
    2. They wanted to work in the library of their choice (academic, public, children's, etc.)

I remember people having utter freak outs as they graduated the semester before me and during the semester I graduated. But when I graduated I was fine. I knew I would moving to Phoenix; I was going to be able to pay my bills and have excellent health insurance.

I even told some classmates this: "You have the skills to do the work I will be doing. You could get the same type of job. I had several offers."

They were like: "No! Must stay here" or "No! Must work in certain kind of library."

I was like: "Okay, have fun temping or brewing coffee."

They temped. And they brewed coffee. But they did not have fun.
    well boy, back in MY day we walked to school miles in the snow. Sometimes we didnt have boots.

oh wait, that was my father’s experience, not mine.

But yeah, I moved across states for each career opportunity. i also had MLIS degree. We graduated into the worst recessoon in a while with 10% unemployment. Fortunately being young, I wasnt worried, and just figured it to be a big adventure to move across country for a job that paid $11,000 annually. And actually I WAS rich because I had no debt, my car was paid for, my parents gave me $1,000 start up money, which went directly into the bank after paying a deposit on an apartment.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-1-18 at 1:45pm.

The town I went to graduate school was small and in a beautiful area. Most moved there for college and didn’t want to move after graduation. So people with master’s degrees were driving cabs, etc. It made no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Yes, but that does not always mean 50/50. Sometimes it means one partner takes 100% and then, at the next opportunity, the other partner takes the 100%. .
    Very true day in and day out. Hence my comment "give and take". We've done this for 38years so far and are happier than we've ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The town I went to graduate school was small and in a beautiful area. Most moved there for college and didn’t want to move after graduation. So people with master’s degrees were driving cabs, etc. It made no sense to me.
    Living in a beautiful area is important to me, so I sympathize. I'd be the world's worst cab driver, though.

Working in my chosen field was more important to me. That’s how I ended up in Kansas. However, where we live now is gorgeous.

I got my budget created and my envelope system up and running. It was counter intuitive to me, but I think I figured out Dave's system. There might be a few kinks in there, but I think I should be able to smooth them out over the next month or two.

Using cash wherever possible feels two ways:
    1. I feel hesitant to hand over those bills!
    2. I feel liberated because banks and corporations are not tracking my spending to the same degree; it is old school!

Thread Information