Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I got my budget created and my envelope system up and running. It was counter intuitive to me, but I think I figured out Dave's system. There might be a few kinks in there, but I think I should be able to smooth them out over the next month or two.

Using cash wherever possible feels two ways:
    1. I feel hesitant to hand over those bills!
    2. I feel liberated because banks and corporations are not tracking my spending to the same degree; it is old school!
    👍👍👍

I read a bit of Dave's books each night to keep my mind on my money and my money on my mind.

Dave Ramsey said:

"Debt is normal. Be weird."

I kinda like this!

That’s so cool! What have been the biggest takeaways from the bookfor you guys? Anything in particular youfound especially eye-opening?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I read a bit of Dave's books each night to keep my mind on my money and my money on my mind.
    I like to watch a few of his call in shows via youtube.
    Learning from other's mistakes.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
    That’s so cool! What have been the biggest takeaways from the bookfor you guys? Anything in particular you found especially eye-opening?
    To me it's interesting to find out what their "wake-up call" was. Did their bad credit score prevent them from buying a house or car? Did they want one spouse to be able to stay home with the kids? Did they just get tired of keeping up with the Joneses? It's that turning point that I find so compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
    That’s so cool! What have been the biggest takeaways from the bookfor you guys? Anything in particular youfound especially eye-opening?
    It's been ages since I read the book, but I always listen to the podcast in the car. I like Dave because:

• He's no-nonsense
    • His baby steps are simple and unambiguous
    • I like his philosophy on debt & no credit cards
    • He's hilarious to listen to
    • OTOH, I love how he scolds some of the listeners. Sometimes I feel I need a scolding (although I get some of that here from time to time
    • I truly believe that if everyone followed his plan to the letter, it's a guaranteed outcome for a good financial life
    • I like that he separates out the emotional motivations from the rational and builds his steps to address the emotional
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, you have made great progress and any scolding at this point is for general or minor stuff. Once you dumped those two in-law houses, you stepped into the world of rational.

Totally agree with IL.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Totally agree with IL.
    Gee, thanks, IL and TT!

I'm getting even more rational this winter when I make plans to dump the next house!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information