Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classical liberal?

Classical liberal?

The other day, during a political discussion, someone called me a "Classical Liberal."

I have mixed feelings about this.

Anyone identify as such?

I like the idea of it, so—sure! This makes one conveniently above most politicking because our side never wins on anything. Kind of a comfort, in a way.we dont have to take responsibilitynfor whatever assholes are in office.

Haven’t a clue what that term could mean. IL, your dry humour is so much fun.

I’m more of a 1768-vintage Whig.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    This is an interesting question. It brought to mind for me this preview I watched on youtube recently titled The Gay Husbands of San Francisco. I think it was some kind of sitcom - or at least the base of one - that might start at some future date on youtube. At any rate, gay stereotypes were in abundance in the characters - the phony social climber, the druggie who lives to party, the young attractive heavy spending kept guy, the overachiever, the functional alcoholic who lives to party, the slut, the innocent Midwesterner recently arrived in town, and then, drumroll please - I saw a bit of myself - the activist. All these characters were portrayed as being liberal - but what flavor of liberal is the question?

I don't know that I am a classic-coming-from-money-Kennedy-family-type liberal - I'm much more the activist type when I'm up to it - countered by hard worker/secondhand pennypincher. Classic liberal - this phrase - conjures up images of misty Massachusetts coastal mornings or fog rolling into either Seattle or Portland or San Francisco, images that are not my current life/reality. And given current living costs in the above, and given their distance from the Mexican border, I can't see that reality in the future for me.

But I also can't see myself not being liberal. I know how easy it is to fall through the cracks and I know the dark side of America. I have to be liberal if I wish to live with myself. But Classic? Nope, doesn't fit me well. The protest signs/protest lines/activism stereotype, and it is a stereotype to some degree dating back to Aids Activism (capitalized out of respect to these courageous souls) in the Reagan era of the 80's - this fits me personally much better. But even with me, it's a one-dimensional stereotype that does not fully describe my world/reality. Rob

Classical Liberal doesnt mean Kennedy-esque liberal, Rob. This is the definition UL means, most likely:

Classical liberalism. Classical liberalism is a political philosophy and ideology belonging to liberalism in which primary emphasis is placed on securing the freedom of the individual by limiting the power of the government.

In current shorthand, it means one who holds views generally ascribed to Libertarians. I am pretty sure this is opposite any political stance you embrace. Unless you have made an overnight conversion, I dont see you worshipping at the alter of Adam Smith.

more on that:

Drawing on ideas of Adam Smith, classical liberals believed that it is in the common interest that all individuals be able to secure their own economic self-interest. They were critical of what would come to be the idea of the welfare state as interfering in a free market.[12] Despite Smith’s resolute recognition of the importance and value of labor and of laborers, they selectively criticized labour's group rights being pursued at the expense of individual rights[13] while accepting corporations' rights, which led to inequality of bargaining power.[14][15]

To shore up my credentials, I have, in fact, visited the grave of Adam Smith in the Cannongate off the
    Royal Mile in Edinburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Classical Liberal doesnt mean Kennedy-esque liberal, Rob. This is the definition UL means, most likely:

Link...

In current shorthand, it means one who holds views generally ascribed to Libertarians. I am pretty sure this is opposite any political stance you embrace.
    Oh. What was that thing Rosanne Rosanna Danna (Gilda Radner) said on SNL years ago? Never mind......except she said it much cuter that I do/can. Rob

Classical liberalism. Classical liberalism is a political philosophy and ideology belonging to liberalism in which primary emphasis is placed on securing the freedom of the individual by limiting the power of the government.

In current shorthand, it means one who holds views generally ascribed to Libertarians. I am pretty sure this is opposite any political stance you embrace. Unless you have made an overnight conversion, I dont see you worshipping at the alter of Adam Smith.

more on that:

Drawing on ideas of Adam Smith, classical liberals believed that it is in the common interest that all individuals be able to secure their own economic self-interest. They were critical of what would come to be the idea of the welfare state as interfering in a free market.[12] Despite Smith’s resolute recognition of the importance and value of labor and of laborers, they selectively criticized labour's group rights being pursued at the expense of individual rights[13] while accepting corporations' rights, which led to inequality of bargaining power.[14][15]

To shore up my credentials, I have, in fact, visited the grave of Adam Smith in the Cannongate off the
    Royal Mile in Edinburgh.
    No, no worshiping at the altar of Adam Smith for me. That one you called not only right but dead on! Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Oh. What was that thing Rosanne Rosanna Danna (Gilda Radner) said on SNL years ago? Never mind......except she said it much cuter that I do/can. Rob
    Hahaha, ok!

Hahaha, ok!
    LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers her and this line! She was SO funny.......so sad about her early death. Rob

Thread Information