Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: using my experience to teach

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Here is my gut reaction:
    I am already deeply skeptical about the ability of the average therapist to affect meaningful change, and this just seems like another another flavor of therapy, therapy-lite from the profession that already has minimal measures. As an aside, I find it scary to see how little training is really required before Masters and Phd level candidates start in with clients. Ugh.
    +1. I'd always assumed that in order for therapists to treat clients, they had to have their own shit together. Apparently not so. There is a woman over on MMM that is a complete mess and she is counseling clients on her own, with what appears to be minimal training. It's pretty darned scary. And also seems unethical to allow a client who is that unstable to treat clients herself. Makes me wonder what kind of oversight therapists operate under.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    +1. I'd always assumed that in order for therapists to treat clients, they had to have their own shit together. Apparently not so. There is a woman over on MMM that is a complete mess and she is counseling clients on her own, with what appears to be minimal training. It's pretty darned scary. And also seems unethical to allow a client who is that unstable to treat clients herself. Makes me wonder what kind of oversight therapists operate under.
    Yes. That there is a reality check for seeking therapy. Or at least it is a cautionary tale to carefully interview therapists and seek out those who have been in practice for a long time and come with strong recommendations.

Geila- can you share what MMM board/thread that is? (I'm looking but don't see anything obvious yet)

Geila
    herbgeek - I don't feel comfortable sharing that info; it feels too much like talking behind someone's back. But I will say that no one else seems bothered by the situation; in fact, most of the comments are positive regarding the seeing of clients. I find the whole thing confusing and scary.

So when I trained to be a therapist it was a masters degree and 20 hours s week for 2 years was devoted to clients. Then upon graduating I had to do 3000 hours at a low pay under a licensed clinical social worker. There are various tests you have to pass at every level. It is rigorous training. I wish I knew what thread it was. You should share it as it’s the right thing to do.

I have had very good luck with therapists, some ultimately were not a good fit but they were overall good. My ex-FIL and his wife were good counselors and terrible relatives. I still think that although they have their rotten moments they are probably really good for the clients they have. My ex-FIL did a lot of dual diagnoses work, maybe he just used it all up with clients.

I feel a little like you do Terry, I spent a lot of time, practice and money to get where I am in my career. There is not a lot of understanding of that, and then I am in the lower than low category of out of school time programs instead of classroom work. I am still however trained in teaching, have practice and skills in this, and ideas of how it is done well. So getting an 8 hour certificate is based on a lot of background, not that 8 hours would make me a qualified therapist in any way. However I am listening and trying to chill out my future plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So when I trained to be a therapist it was a masters degree and 20 hours s week for 2 years was devoted to clients. Then upon graduating I had to do 3000 hours at a low pay under a licensed clinical social worker. There are various tests you have to pass at every level. It is rigorous training. I wish I knew what thread it was. You should share it as it’s the right thing to do.
    hunh, the right thing to do? Why?

I will PM you, but not because its the right thing to do.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I don't see why that would be the right thing to do. These are internet strangers. How does sharing the info help anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I don't see why that would be the right thing to do. These are internet strangers. How does sharing the info help anyone?
    I assume they thought it would help someone, or they wouldn't have made it public.
    Neither here nor there for me, as I'm not a finance forum follower.

I was thinking that the college wasn’t aware of her mental illness and should be but it appears that they know and don’t care. Wow how things have changed for the worse since I went to college.

Thread Information