Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like we have sold the bank

Looks like we have sold the bank

My dad bought this old bank building 40 or so years ago. It was kind of a neat old building that he used to store stuff in. And if there were tornado warnings he and my mom were known to sit it out in the vault.

but unfortunately dad is now in a nursing home and I am trying to sell some things that he no longer has a need for.

We haven’t closed yet, but my understanding is the buyer wants to turn it into a home. Obviously they must be watching to much Home and Garden TV.

And we have back up buyers, but it is cheap , this area is not the 85006.

http://www.bollingerservices.com/lis...etail.php?6379

Good luck DMC, by the way, I was in Bertrand yesterday.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Good luck DMC, by the way, I was in Bertrand yesterday.
    it is quite the metropolis these days. I still have a couple of relatives that still live there. They have been there since the 60’s.

When my sister closes on the bank, dad will no longer have any property there. He is now in Cape Girardeu.

I was in Sikeston over the weekend and drove through on my way to Charleston, I always use the back roads for old times sake.

After inspecting the map, I see I came within a block of the building. If you'd posted this earlier I'd have stopped by for a look.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

That is a handsome building indeed. On a corner, I suppose. The bankd building usually were on a corner to provide them prominence and stature.

That is a beauty! And I think it will make a lovely house, I can see the front as paned window--lots and lots of lot. The brick is very elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I was in Sikeston over the weekend and drove through on my way to Charleston, I always use the back roads for old times sake.

After inspecting the map, I see I came within a block of the building. If you'd posted this earlier I'd have stopped by for a look.
    The bank was originally on the main drag, there was another bank across the street. All that remains of that one is the vault. There was also a large mercantile building a few lots down from the bank. My father also owned that one. It was very nice, 10,000 sq ft on the first floor with the second floor open in the middle so you could look down and also for the skylights to shine down. Dad used it in his construction company. It had a loading dock and he would purchase materials and store them there. I wish I would have removed some of the railing and molding from the mercantile building. It was very nice. Dad sold it to a company that held auctions there years ago. They let the roof go and it fell into disrepair. Dad held the note so he ended up owning it again, but sold the brick and trim for salvage. We sold the lot last year.

There was also a Cotten gin and railroad line, also long gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    That is a beauty! And I think it will make a lovely house, I can see the front as paned window--lots and lots of lot. The brick is very elegant.
    The windows are boarded over. They are still behind the plywood and are across the front and down the one side. There is still the original mosaic tile on much of the floor also. Not real sure on the condition though.

Dad bought the building from a guy who said he wanted to sell it at the coffee shop. The guy inherited it and his relative had actually lived in it for years. It was full of junk, we hauled quite a few dump truck loads to the dump. Dad thought it would be handy since he already owned the large building nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    That is a handsome building indeed. On a corner, I suppose. The bankd building usually were on a corner to provide them prominence and stature.
    yep corner lot.

It still had some stuff in it, tools and various things. I told my uncle who had the key to tell anyone who wanted the stuff to go get it. My sister and I had no use for it or it wasn’t worth it to us to move it. Don’t anyone tell my dad, he still thinks the stuff he put in there 40 years ago is still valuable.

One less thing to pay taxes on and have mowed.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    There was also a Cotten gin and railroad line, also long gone now.
    There were quite a few cotton gin's in the area 30 or 40 years ago, although I don't think there are any now. The railroad line you mentioned crossed over the street where my Mom now lives. They tore up the tracks about 10 years ago.

Thread Information